Best websites for jazz music lovers
Jazz music is one of the most divisive genres of music there is – there are people who love it, and people who hate it, but for the people who love it there’s nothing else like it in the world.
Jazz first originated in the late 19th and early 20th centuries in African American communities around the United States. As a genre, it relies heavily on improvisation, polyrhythms, syncopation and swing notes.
As it began to grow in popularity, different regions and local musical cultures gave rise to distinctive styles – for example, New Orleans jazz or bebop. Today, jazz has evolved and spread around the world to the point where there are dozens of different distinct styles depending on where you live or what you enjoy.
If you’re a lover of all things jazz, the Internet can be a great place to pursue your passion and connect with others who share it – here are some of the best websites you should know about…
- A Passion for Jazz – From history to education, resources and even sheet music, this website is a wealth of information about jazz and blues music. If you’re more interested in the technical aspects of jazz and the history of the genre itself, this is a good place to look – there are fewer opportunities here for listening and almost no album reviews, so here it really is all about education.
- All Music – All Music is a popular website for reviews and expert commentary on music of all kinds. The website has its own dedicated jazz music section, where you can find information about the greats, browse albums and check out reviews from recent jazz releases in the industry. You can browse by subgenre and even listen to some expertly curated highlights right from the website.
- The Guardian – The Guardian has its own dedicated tab on its music section for jazz music. Visit it and you’ll find videos, live music reviews, album reviews, and commentary from artists and other pundits who love jazz and have plenty to say about it. If you also have an interest in blues, there’s a separate section with similar articles you can enjoy too.
- Jazz Radio – Jazz Radio is a digital radio station devoted specifically to that one genre of music. You can listen for free, or upgrade to a premium account if you want to skip the adverts. From current jazz to gypsy jazz, upbeat, mellow, swinging or vocal, you can filter your choices right down so you’re only listening to the type of jazz you really love.
Latest posts by Sally - Silversurfer's Editor (see all)
- Preparing your home for Winter - September 17, 2020
- Blackberry Lemon Layer Cake - September 17, 2020
- Funeral plans guarantee so much more than Over 50s policies - September 17, 2020
- If you like radio – you’ll love our money guide podcast series - September 16, 2020
- Would you have a fake lawn in your garden? - September 15, 2020
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!