Keep learning with the best Open University courses
The end of summer needn’t only signal back to school for children – it’s never too late to broaden your knowledge and expand your horizons.
Open University offers an excellent way to get back to the books while fitting your learning around your lifestyle.
Whether you’re thinking of a change in career as retirement age looms or you simply want the chance to pursue your interests in an organised way, the Open University is sure to have a course to fulfil your needs.
Offering thousands of different courses and qualifications, it’s a fantastic resource for keen learners.
Choosing an Open University course
The Open University offers a comprehensive range of undergraduate and masters courses that provide you with a recognised qualification, perfect if you have a new job or profession in mind.
However, it also offers a wide selection of OpenLearn courses, which are much shorter and don’t offer a degree at the end.
Because they are often extracts from a degree programme, they offer a great way of discovering whether you’re ready to undertake a course of study.
They are also excellent for simply allowing you to experiment with different subjects. What’s more, there are more than 700 courses you can try for free. Some of our favourites include:
- Start Writing Fiction – This is a great choice if you’ve always wanted to be able to tell a story but have never been sure where to start. It looks at building character and settings as well as establishing genre.
- Starting With Psychology – This course looks at a number of different explanations that psychologists put forward in their attempts to understand why people feel, think and behave the way they do.
- The Business of Football – This is a more sporting option, and great choice for keen football fans. It offers an introduction to some of the various elements that shape today’s clubs and the global expansion of the game.
- Introduction to Musical Theory – This is another popular course, which teaches the basic concepts of western music notation and music theory. Participants of this course often continue their learning with Inside Music.
- Getting Started with Classical Latin – This course is designed to be interesting to students who’ve never had any Latin training before but who would love to find out more about this fascinating language.
The benefits of Open University
If you like the sound of taking your studies further, Open University has a huge variety of degrees to help you grow.
Read the university’s own list of benefits to see if there are any topics that leave you feeling inspired and ready to embark on a new learning project.
The Mirror has also put together an interesting article about the benefits of choosing to return to study and the affordability and flexibility of doing it through the Open University.
It’s never too late to start learning, whether you’re ready to embark on a degree or you’re looking for a short OpenLearn course, you’re sure to find something inspiring in the Open University’s course list.
Have you thought about trying continuing education?
Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor
Latest posts by Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor (see all)
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!