Discover the best of over 50s travel tours
Seeing new places and discovering new cultures is one of the great joys of travelling. If you find the thirst for adventure is as strong as ever but you’re not as interested in all the minor planning details, a guided tour could be just what you need to rekindle your passion for travel.
It’s a great way to meet new people, and with tour operators increasingly focusing on holidays for over 50s, you can head out on the open road with a group of people with similar interests and life experiences.
Sound like it might be for you? Check out our top tips and tricks for planning a travel tour.
The more the merrier
Travelling with a group is a great way to have more fun on holiday. If you think you might be interested in travelling with a companion and simply don’t have someone in your life who shares the same interests as you or a partner to join you on your adventure, travel tours can help fill that void.
Typically you’ll travel with between 10 to 20 people and every detail will be taken care of by the tour provider. The advantage of this is that you pay a flat fee and then they take care of flights, transport, accommodation and any excursions along the way – meaning all you need to do is turn up and enjoy. Most travel tours also benefit from an enthusiastic tour guide who is there to answer any questions and illuminate your adventure with interesting lessons all along the way.
Finding a tour group
The same way you would plan any holiday, if you’re thinking of booking a travel tour for your next getaway, it’s important to do your research first. Different travel tours will offer different experiences – from budget to luxury – and may focus specifically on certain interests, like cooking holidays or art appreciation.
- Solos – If you’re single or plan to travel alone, check out Solos. This tour operator specialises in singles holidays and has a whole range of packages specifically designed for travellers over 50. With both general and special interest destinations around the globe, they take all the apprehension out of solo travelling.
- Wendy Wu Tours-Are the experts for China and the Far East guided tours with the expertise of local guides and many varied itineraries. Wendy Wu offer amazing value with a wide choice escorted tours to China, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, India and Sri Lanka. They are the experts on tours to China and have many varied itineraries taking in destinations such as the Great Wall of China, The Terracotta Warriors at Xian and the wonderful palaces in Beijing.
- Adventure Company – With more than 25 years’ experience touring groups through 100 countries, Adventure Company offers everything from charity holidays to astronomy tours. They offer deals for families and solo travellers, and are even available for private tours – if you have a group of people you’d like to go away with, the Adventure Company could be just what you need to plan an unforgettable holiday without the hassle.
- Grand UK Holidays – There are plenty of sites to see closer to home, and with the help of coach trips from Grand UK Holidays you can see all of them. If you’re not willing to fly, this tour operator is a great solution – they specialise in bus and train tours, as well as self-drive tours if you want a little more independence while still avoiding most of the planning.
- Responsible Travel – To get a real feel of the local culture on holiday, Responsible Travel offer a great solution. This travel tour company offers more than 150 different options for travellers over 50 and you can take on anything from a cycling tour to a cooking class in some of the most beautiful holiday destinations on the globe.