Discovering exciting new places is one of the best parts of travelling – from cosmopolitan cities to remote hideaways surrounded by nature, there’s no shortage of options all over the world when you want to go beyond your own backyard.
But how to choose? Whether you’ve already travelled to some of the most popular spots in Europe or find yourself wanting a destination that’s not already overrun by tourists, take a look at the best travel destinations for 2014 and discover what has the world’s most avid travellers going back for more.
- Cordoba – Travel magazine National Geographic singled out the Argentinian city of Cordoba in its list of the top travel destinations of 2014, thanks to its gorgeous architecture and UNESCO World Heritage site status. The best time to visit is in the spring and fall, where temperatures are warm but comfortable and the skies are generally clear.
- Louisiana – New Orleans’ largest city is on the must-visit list this spring from travel experts Lonely Planet. Historic plantations, buzzing restaurants and the French Quarter Festival celebrating local music from jazz to blues are all on offer in a wonderful city full of music..
- Cape Town – Long celebrated for its lush natural landscapes, there’s no better time to visit the South African city of Cape Town. The city was recently named the World Design Capital for 2014 and has been selected by the Guardian as one of its top travel destinations this year – what better excuse could you need?
- Kashmir – Named the ‘Switzerland of Asia’ by the Telegraph on its list of best destinations this year, you can find culture and breath-taking scenery in abundance. Once restricted to travellers, Kashmir is once again open for business and offers a good blend of adventure and home comforts – the perfect holiday for explorers.
- Dubrovnik – The Huffington Post has tipped Croatia’s bustling coastal city of Dubrovnik as a must-see destination this year. With culture and natural beauty in abundance, you can learn the unique history of the medieval walled city before retiring to the shores of the Adriatic Sea to enjoy the warm weather.
Planning your holiday
Planning an affordable holiday is easier than ever when you go online to look or book – travel comparison websites and online travel agents and tour operators help you to compare prices and flight times, while reviews and recommendations from other travellers make it easy to figure out if what you’re planning suits your lifestyle.
Latest posts by Silversurfers Editor (see all)
- by Barbara Wooldridge - October 25, 2016
- Ever Fancied Owning Your Own Racehorse? - October 25, 2016
- Discover the gems of the Middle East - October 25, 2016
- Ace acers by Lynne Turner - October 24, 2016
- Regain control over your electric heating with Dimplex Quantum - October 24, 2016