Pangolin protection is paramount
Wildlife conservation launches ‘Pounds for Pangolins’ campaign
UK based wildlife conservation charity, the David Shepherd Wildlife Foundation (DSWF), are calling on local residents to dig out their old pound coins and to donate them to pangolin protection.
From October 15th the old ‘round pound’ coin will no longer be accepted as legal tender but that doesn’t mean they have no value. In fact, the soon to be defunct coins are part of a local fundraising campaign to help save the worlds most trafficked mammal, the pangolin.
With its protective scales and unusual stance, the prehistoric looking pangolin may appear to be ready for battle, yet over one million pangolins are estimated to have been traded illegally in the last decade. In response, DSWF are pioneering new projects in Zambia and Uganda to help better understand pangolin populations and how best to protect them.
“As demand grows the pangolin is becoming the subject of an increasing illegal trade,” says DSWF CEO, Karen Botha. “These unique and captivating scaled mammals need our help before it is too late. Your old pound coins will help us fund vital pangolin protection, crime prevention and demand reduction projects in Africa and Asia as we work to ensure the safety of this amazing animal.”
The new £1 coin was released into circulation on March 28th 2017. It’s lighter than the ‘round pound’ and comes with 11 more sides. DSWF are urging residents to make sure their ‘round pound’ coins are not wasted and they donate them before October 15th 2017.
There are a number of ways you can donate your pounds for pangolins:
- Bring your pounds to the DSWF office in Shalford, Surrey, UK (open 9-5 Monday to Friday)
- Bank them and write a cheque payable to: DSWF and send it to DSWF, 7 Kings Road, Shalford, Surrey GU4 8JU (please write Pounds for Pangolins on the back)
- Donate online at HERE
Latest posts by Sally - Silversurfer's Editor (see all)
- What would you do with £100k from RoyaleLife? - September 15, 2021
- Would you want the government to inherit your estate? - September 15, 2021
- Is your Mac too old for the new macOS Monterey? - September 14, 2021
- 8 Classic albums celebrating big anniversaries - September 13, 2021
- Rheumatoid arthritis: Online resources and advice - September 13, 2021