Choosing Home Insurance with Silversurfers
For the modern homeowner, buildings and contents insurance is an essential – for most lenders, having buildings insurance in place is a condition of the mortgage.
What we know as “home insurance” is typically an umbrella term that can mean buildings or contents insurance, or both.
Choosing the right home insurance for you
Like car insurance, you can choose to go with the bare minimum cover or choose a more comprehensive cover option based on your needs.
There’s advantages to choosing more tailored options – they cover for a wider range of occurrences and can give you better peace of mind.
Here’s a quick overview of what’s covered with each.
- Buildings insurance – Building insurance is what you call on if the structure of your home is damaged; such as in a fire, flood or bad storm. If you picked your home up, everything that stayed in place would come under buildings insurance: this means walls, windows, fitted kitchens etc.
- Contents insurance – Contents insurance on the other hand provides cover for everything that’s inside your home. Clothing, furniture, artwork and electronics are just a few examples. You can choose contents insurance policies that cover everything from accidental damage – such as knocking the TV over – to theft or loss outside the home.
- Holiday home insurance – Holiday home insurance is a tailored policy meant for properties that sit empty for several weeks or months at a time or that has letting periods throughout the year. Most buildings and contents insurance policies in contrast won’t pay out if you leave the property empty for more than 30 days in the year, so taking out specialist cover is essential.
Shop with Silversurfers
Whether you need buildings and contents insurance for your home or holiday home insurance for a villa abroad, we can help you find the ideal policy at the right price.
At Silversurfers we’ve partnered with A-Plan Insurance to bring you a great range of options for your home insurance policy. As a broker, A-Plan works with more than 30 insurance companies to help connect you with an impartial selection of policies that suit your needs.
Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor
Latest posts by Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor (see all)
- Digital healthcare tools - April 18, 2019
- Should parents stop using chocolate for egg hunts? - April 17, 2019
- Silversurfers Book Club Spring 2019 - April 15, 2019
- Our favourite Easter weekend recipes - April 15, 2019
- What’s the best way to relieve stress? - April 12, 2019
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!