Asparagus Mac ‘n’ Cheese with Bacon Crumble
This asparagus mac ‘n’ cheese with bacon crumble is a deliciously hearty dish and a grown-up twist on a classic.
It’s quick and easy to make and serve to family and is the perfect recipe to keep to hand when you want some comfort food.
Serves: 4 Prep time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 35 minutes
- 8 rashers streaky bacon
- 50g breadcrumbs
- 150g Cheddar cheese
- 300g macaroni
- 2 bunches British asparagus (spears trimmed and cut in half)
- 40g butter
- 40g plain flour
- 400ml milk
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
What to do
- Heat the grill and cook the bacon on each side until very crisp. Chop into small chunks and combine with the bread crumbs and ¼ of the cheese then set aside.
- Boil the kettle to fill a large pan. When boiling vigorously in the pan add a pinch of salt and the macaroni. Cook for 9 minutes then add the asparagus and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- While the macaroni is cooking, melt the butter in a small thick-based saucepan, sprinkle in the flour and stir with a wooden spoon. Cook whilst stirring for a minute then add the milk a little at a time, stirring continuously so it is absorbed into the flour and slowly makes a smooth sauce. If you get any lumps, don’t panic, just beat vigorously with the wooden spoon and they’ll disperse. Stir in the mustard, some black pepper and the remaining cheese.
- Once the macaroni and asparagus are cooked, drain well and return them to the pan. Pour over the cheese sauce and stir to coat well. Tip the macaroni into a large oven dish, sprinkle over the breadcrumb mixture and return to the grill for the top to melt and brown.
Please credit www.britishasparagus.com
Silversurfer's Assistant Editor
Latest posts by Silversurfer's Assistant Editor (see all)
- Introducing a new partner to your children and grandchildren - February 19, 2018
- Clever uses for nail files - February 16, 2018
- Welcome to the Year of the Dog - February 15, 2018
- Set yourself a new goal for Lent - February 14, 2018
- Is it worth celebrating Valentine’s Day? - February 13, 2018
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!