Slow cooked autumnal casserole with shin of beef, stewing or braising steak cubes, root vegetables and chestnuts in red wine and stock. This is a warming and delicious autumn dish for four.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 2 hours
- 450g/1lb lean boneless shin, stewing or braising beef, cut into 2.5cm/1inch cubes
- 30ml/2tbsp plain flour seasoned with salt and freshly milled black pepper and
- 10ml/2tsp ground nutmeg
- 20ml/2tsp oil
- 8 shallots, peeled and left whole
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 175g/6oz baby carrots, topped and left whole
- 4 tomatoes, skinned, deseeded and roughly chopped, or a can of tinned tomatoes
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 450ml/¾pint good, hot beef stock
- 200ml/7floz good red wine
- 15ml/1tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 200g/7oz cooked and peeled whole chestnuts
Preheat the oven to Gas mark 3,170°C,325°F.
Place the flour, seasoning and nutmeg into a large plastic food bag. Add the beef in batches and coat with the seasoned flour.
Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan and cook the beef for 4-5 minutes until brown on all sides. Transfer to a 1.2L/2pint ovenproof casserole dish.
In the same frying pan cook the shallots, garlic and carrots for 2-3 minutes. Spoon into the casserole dish with the tomatoes.
Add the remaining ingredients to the casserole dish, bring to the boil, cover and transfer to the oven to cook for 1½-2 hours.
Serve with mustard mash.
This recipe is perfect cooked in a slow cooker, but always refer to the manufacturer’s instructions first.
Recipe supplied by: Simply Beef and Lamb
Image provided by EBLEX
Latest posts by Silversurfers Editor (see all)
- by Barbara Wooldridge - October 25, 2016
- Ever Fancied Owning Your Own Racehorse? - October 25, 2016
- Discover the gems of the Middle East - October 25, 2016
- Ace acers by Lynne Turner - October 24, 2016
- Regain control over your electric heating with Dimplex Quantum - October 24, 2016