Autumnal Beef and Chestnut Casserole
Slow cooked autumnal casserole with shin of beef, stewing or braising steak cubes, root vegetables and chestnuts in red wine and stock. This is a warming and delicious autumn dish for four.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 2 hours
- 450g/1lb lean boneless shin, stewing or braising beef, cut into 2.5cm/1inch cubes
- 30ml/2tbsp plain flour seasoned with salt and freshly milled black pepper and
- 10ml/2tsp ground nutmeg
- 20ml/2tsp oil
- 8 shallots, peeled and left whole
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 175g/6oz baby carrots, topped and left whole
- 4 tomatoes, skinned, deseeded and roughly chopped, or a can of tinned tomatoes
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 450ml/¾pint good, hot beef stock
- 200ml/7floz good red wine
- 15ml/1tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 200g/7oz cooked and peeled whole chestnuts
Preheat the oven to Gas mark 3,170°C,325°F.
Place the flour, seasoning and nutmeg into a large plastic food bag. Add the beef in batches and coat with the seasoned flour.
Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan and cook the beef for 4-5 minutes until brown on all sides. Transfer to a 1.2L/2pint ovenproof casserole dish.
In the same frying pan cook the shallots, garlic and carrots for 2-3 minutes. Spoon into the casserole dish with the tomatoes.
Add the remaining ingredients to the casserole dish, bring to the boil, cover and transfer to the oven to cook for 1½-2 hours.
Serve with mustard mash.
This recipe is perfect cooked in a slow cooker, but always refer to the manufacturer’s instructions first.
Recipe supplied by: Simply Beef and Lamb
Image provided by EBLEX
Latest posts by Sally - Silversurfer's Editor (see all)
- Discover the wonders of the world with Abercrombie & Kent - October 17, 2019
- Do you think the tactics of Extinction Rebellion are justified? - October 17, 2019
- Our choice of 3 top devices to keep us safe this winter - October 16, 2019
- Don’t Take Your Life for Granted - October 15, 2019
- Combat male hair loss with Reseed - October 15, 2019
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!