Butternut Squash Soup with Rosemary
Butternut squash soup is a favourite of mine, and the addition of fresh rosemary gives this soup an extra dimension of taste.
Some recipes require you to roast the butternut squash first, but I think this is unnecessary. Soup is such a handy thing to have in the fridge, and I make a batch every few days, so there is always a bowl full on had for my lunch! Healthy and a great way to get your 5 a day!
1 medium butternut squash
2 tbsp olive oil
2 large carrots
1 large red onion
1-liter vegetable stock
3 sprigs fresh rosemary
salt and freshly milled pepper
Chopped parsley (optional)
What to do:
1. Peel and deseed the butternut squash and chop into even sized cubes. Peel the onion and chop roughly, and peel and slice the carrots.
2. Warm a large saucepan and add the olive oil. Add the prepared onion, butternut squash and carrots, and stir to get a good coating of the olive oil, put on a lid and let the vegetables sweat for about 5 to 10 minutes, or until softened, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the vegetable stock and rosemary sprigs, and allow to simmer for about 30 minutes.
4. Remove the Cooked rosemary sprigs. Using a blender or food processor, blend the soup until smooth. If the soup is too thick, add a bit of water or milk for a creamy texture.
5. Season with salt and pepper.
Serve in bowls, garnished with some chopped parsley (optional) and serve with some crusty bread and enjoy!
TIP: This soup is also great combined with sweet potato. Omit the carrot and replace with sweet potato for a richer slightly sweeter soup.
Written by: Sally Lock
Latest posts by Sally Lock (see all)
- Seville Orange Marmalade - January 7, 2021
- Rich Chocolate Brownies with Dark Chocolate Chunks - November 20, 2020
- Homemade Christmas Mincemeat - October 25, 2020
- Carrot, Courgette and Cumin Fritters - June 28, 2020
- Why would you turn this invitation down? - October 3, 2018
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!