Beetroot & Vanilla Cupcakes with Rose Butter Icing
These pretty Beetroot & Vanilla Cupcakes with Rose Butter Icing would make a beautiful Easter tea treat and quite a talking point with the special ingredients!
Makes 12 cupcakes
Preparation time: 45 minutes, plus drying time
Cooking time: 20 minutes
175g caster sugar
175g unsalted butter
3 large eggs, separated
175g self raising flour
175g plain cooked (vacuum packed) beetroot, drained (hold a few drops of juice back to use as colouring) and pureed
1 tbsp vanilla extract
For the icing:
300g Icing sugar
150g unsalted butter, slightly softened
a few drops rose flower water, to taste
a few drops beetroot juice, to colour
For the crystallized rose petals:
3 organic pink roses, separated into petals
1 egg white
Caster sugar (a sprinkling)
What to do:
Make the crystallized rose petals the day before you want to serve the cupcakes. They will keep in an airtight box for a few weeks. Lay out a piece of silicon-coated baking paper on a tray. Pick through the petals and choose the 12 loveliest looking ones and lay them on the tray. Brush gently with egg white and sprinkle all over with caster sugar. Allow to dry in a warm place for 8 hours before using.
- When you are ready to make the cupcakes, preheat the oven to 180˚C/Gas Mark 4.
- Blend together the sugar and butter until light and creamy. Add the egg yolks, flour, pureed beetroot and vanilla and beat until smooth.
- In a clean bowl whisk the egg whites until fairly stiff. Take a large spoon of egg white and beat into the cupcake mixture to loosen it a little. Then, using a large metal spoon fold the remaining egg whites gently through the mix, taking care not to over beat.
- Spoon the mixture into 12 cupcake cases and bake in the oven for around 20 minutes, or until the cakes are firm to the touch. Remove and cool on a wire rack.
- To make the icing, beat the icing sugar and butter together, either in a food mixer or by hand with a wooden spoon. Add a few drops of rose flower water to taste, and a few drops of beetroot juice to colour the icing.
- Spread generously or pipe over the cooled cupcakes and top each with a rose petal.
Recipe by: www.lovebeetroot.co.uk
Latest posts by Sally - Silversurfer's Editor (see all)
- Win a £50 Amazon eVoucher! - December 16, 2018
- Win a NUTRiBULLET! - December 14, 2018
- Blackberry and Blueberry Christmas Cake - December 13, 2018
- Amazing Long Haul Golf Travel - December 12, 2018
- A real fir or a plastic spruce – which is better for the environment? - December 8, 2018
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!