Blueberry and buttermilk scones with blueberry jam
Add more blueberries to your diet and make a quick and easy breakfast treat with these light and fruity blueberry and buttermilk scones.
If you can’t find buttermilk, try this simple swap instead; use ordinary milk with a squeeze of lemon juice or 1 tsp cider vinegar to sour it.
Makes: approx. 12 Prep time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 15 minutes
For the blueberry jam
- 400g BerryWorld blueberries
- 200g caster sugar
- Zest and juice of 1 large orange
For the scones
- 150g BerryWorld blueberries
- 350g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 100g salted butter, cubed
- 50g caster sugar
- Zest of 1 orange
- 175ml buttermilk
- 1 tbsp milk
What to do
- First make the blueberry jam. Place the blueberries, sugar, zest and juice of the orange in a large heavy based pan. Allow the sugar to dissolve over a medium heat then increase the heat and allow to boil for approximately 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent it catching on the bottom of the pan. Allow to cool a little then spoon into sterilised jars. Cover with a lid when completely cooled and store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- To make the scones, preheat oven 220c/200c fan/gas 6. Wash and pat dry the blueberries, dust in a little flour.
- Sift the flour and bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl. Rub in the butter using your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the caster sugar, orange zest and blueberries, make a well in the centre and pour in the buttermilk and milk, mix together with a knife until you have a soft dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead very lightly, pat into a round 4cm thick.
- Cut out scones using a 5 cm fluted cutter, place on a lightly greased baking tray. Brush the tops with a little milk.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until risen and golden, cool on a wire rack.
- Serve split in half topped with the blueberry jam.
Recipe courtesy of BerryWorld
Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor
Latest posts by Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor (see all)
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!