Gooseberry and Ginger Crumble
This delicious gooseberry, ginger and nut crumble recipe turns the traditional dish on its head.
Gooseberries have a subtle but sharp flavour when at their best, so the aromatic sweetness of ginger is a great combination.
Serves: 4-5 Prep time: 20mins Cook time: 30mins
- 250 gooseberries
- 4-5tbsp sugar or to taste
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 whole stem ginger, chopped
- 75g unsalted butter
- 75g plain flour
- 50g flaked almonds
- 25g rolled oats
- 25-50g soft light brown sugar
- Top and tail the gooseberries and put in a small pan with the sugar and ground ginger. Cook gently until the sugar has dissolved. Place in an ovenproof dish, stir in the chopped ginger and set aside.
- Preheat the oven 180C/350F/gas Mark 4. Rub together the butter and flour. Add in the nuts, oats and brown sugar.
- Sprinkle the topping evenly over the fruit and bake for about 30 minutes until the topping is golden. Serve with ice cream, thick cream or custard
Recipe courtesy of BerryWorld
Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor
Latest posts by Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor (see all)
- Vegan griddled asparagus and shallots with salsa verde - September 20, 2019
- National Eye Health Week - September 19, 2019
- What’s the best way to stay fit and active as you age? - September 17, 2019
- Creative writing: stretching your imaginative powers - September 16, 2019
- Fish Tacos with Cherry Salsa - September 13, 2019
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!