Mary Berry’s apple and lemon sandwich cake
Perfect for tea-time
“The ultimate cream sponge cake – the apple makes the cake really moist and the lemon-flavoured cream keeps it fresh-tasting,” says the one and only Mary Berry. “Delicious!”
For the sponge:
225g baking spread, straight from the fridge, plus extra for greasing
225g caster sugar
225g self-raising flour
1tsp baking powder
4 large eggs, beaten
2 eating apples, peeled, cored and grated
Icing sugar, for dusting
For the lemon filling:
150ml double cream
3 tbsp lemon curd
1. You will need two 20cm round, loose-bottomed sandwich tins. Preheat the oven to 180˚c/160˚c Fan/Gas 4, then grease each tin and line the base with a disc of baking paper.
2. Measure all the sponge ingredients except the apple and icing sugar into a large bowl and beat with an electric hand whisk until combined. Fold the grated apple into the mixture, then divide between the tins and level the tops.
3. Bake in the oven for about 25–30 minutes until golden, well risen and coming away from the sides of the tins. Allow to cool in the tins.
4. Meanwhile, make the filling. Whip the cream into soft peaks, then lightly swirl in the lemon curd.
5. Invert the tins to remove the cakes and then peel away the paper. Sit one cake upside down on a serving plate. Spread the lemon cream to the edge of the sponge, place the other cake gently on top to sandwich the cakes together.
6. Dust the top with icing sugar to serve.
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!