Spiced pear and apricot jam frangipane cake
Spicy, aromatic and deceptively easy to make, this frangipane cake is the perfect weekend showstopper.
The light sponge and sticky fruit topping come together beautifully – serve warm or cold with a dollop of custard, ice cream or crème fraîche.
Serves: 8-10 Preparation time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 30-35 minutes
- 5 juniper berries, bruised with the back of a knife
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 5 cloves
- 4 tbsp Streamline apricot jam
- 3-4 pears depending on their size, peeled cored & sliced (we used Blush pears)
- 150g unsalted butter
- 150g caster sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- 100g self-raising flour
- 100g ground almonds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- crème fraîche to serve
What to do:
- Heat the oven to 180C/ 160C fan/ gas 4. Grease the bottom of a 9 inch spring form tin and line with greaseproof paper. Heat the juniper, cinnamon and cloves with the apricot jam in a pan then add the pear slices and cook gently for 5 minutes until they are soft – you may need to adjust time slightly depending on ripeness. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk together the butter and sugar till light and fluffy, then whisk in the eggs one at a time. Use a large metal spoon to fold in the almonds, flour and baking powder.
- Pick the spices out of the pear juices and discard. Arrange the pear slices in the bottom of the tin along with just 2 tablespoons of the juices. Pour over the cake batter and bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes until cooked through and the cake springs back when you touch the top.
- Take out of the oven and cool for 15 minutes then turn out onto a serving plate and peel off the greaseproof paper. Reheat the remaining pear juices and drizzle over.
Each serving contains: 319 calories, 22.4g sugar, 20.1g fat
Recipe courtesy of: www.streamlinefoods.co.uk