Spiced pear and apricot jam frangipane cake
Spicy, aromatic and deceptively easy to make, this frangipane cake is the perfect weekend showstopper.
The light sponge and sticky fruit topping come together beautifully – serve warm or cold with a dollop of custard, ice cream or crème fraîche.
Serves: 8-10 Preparation time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 30-35 minutes
- 5 juniper berries, bruised with the back of a knife
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 5 cloves
- 4 tbsp Streamline apricot jam
- 3-4 pears depending on their size, peeled cored & sliced (we used Blush pears)
- 150g unsalted butter
- 150g caster sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- 100g self-raising flour
- 100g ground almonds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- crème fraîche to serve
What to do:
- Heat the oven to 180C/ 160C fan/ gas 4. Grease the bottom of a 9 inch spring form tin and line with greaseproof paper. Heat the juniper, cinnamon and cloves with the apricot jam in a pan then add the pear slices and cook gently for 5 minutes until they are soft – you may need to adjust time slightly depending on ripeness. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk together the butter and sugar till light and fluffy, then whisk in the eggs one at a time. Use a large metal spoon to fold in the almonds, flour and baking powder.
- Pick the spices out of the pear juices and discard. Arrange the pear slices in the bottom of the tin along with just 2 tablespoons of the juices. Pour over the cake batter and bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes until cooked through and the cake springs back when you touch the top.
- Take out of the oven and cool for 15 minutes then turn out onto a serving plate and peel off the greaseproof paper. Reheat the remaining pear juices and drizzle over.
Each serving contains: 319 calories, 22.4g sugar, 20.1g fat
Recipe courtesy of: www.streamlinefoods.co.uk
Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor
Latest posts by Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor (see all)
- The best of Elvis Costello & The Attractions playlist - February 15, 2019
- Raspberry and apple turnovers - February 14, 2019
- Epic Love Songs Playlist - February 14, 2019
- 5 romantic films to revisit this Valentine’s Day - February 13, 2019
- Does Valentine’s Day place too much emphasis on romantic love? - February 12, 2019
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!