It’s time to celebrate National baking week which is between 17th – 23rd October 2016!
This lovely moist and tangy family cake is also great made with blueberries or raspberries.
Serves: 8 | Prep time: 20mins | Cook time: 60mins
- 350g plain flour
- 1tsp salt
- 1tbsp baking powder
- 175g butter or margarine
- 200g demerara sugar
- Finely grated rind 1 large lemon
- 2 free range eggs
- 200ml milk
- 350g blackberries
What to do:
- Sieve the flour, salt and baking powder into a large bowl. Rub in the fat until it resembles breadcrumbs and then add 110g of sugar. Beat together the egg, milk and lemon rind (save a little for the topping), and then stir into the dry mixture until you have a thick batter.
- Rinse and dry the blackberries on paper towel then halve any very large ones. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/gas Mark 4.
- Pour a good half of the mixture into a lined and greased 15-17.5cm loose-bottomed tin. Sprinkle on half of the blackberries, the rest of the batter and some more blackberries and sugar.
- Bake for about one hour until firm and golden. Sprinkle with remaining fruit, lemon rind and sugar, and leave to cool in the tin.
Recipe by: Berryworld.com
Latest posts by Silversurfers Editor (see all)
- Something to sing about, by Janice Wilkinson - October 22, 2016
- By Ron Adams - October 22, 2016
- Where do you think the extra runway should be built – Heathrow or Gatwick? - October 21, 2016
- Beach breaks in Goa - October 21, 2016
- Peace & Tranquility in Your Home Away from Home - October 21, 2016