This traditional Australian treat is the perfect summer indulgence and easy to make at home.
The light chocolate sponge, tart raspberry and sweet coconut create a decadent blend of flavours to satisfy just about any sweet tooth.
Makes: 16 Preparation time: 20 minutes Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 125g butter, softened
- 125g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 175g self-raising flour, sifted
- 25g cocoa powder
- 100ml milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 x 340g jar seedless raspberry jam
- 150g desiccated coconut
What to do:
- Pre-heat oven 180c/160c fan/ gas 4. Grease and line a 20cm x 20cm square cake tin.
- Place the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, gradually add the eggs beating well after each addition.
- Sift the flour and cocoa powder into the mixture and stir in, add half of the milk and stir, gradually add the rest of the milk and vanilla essence. Spoon into the prepared tin, smooth the top and bake for approx. 25-30 minutes until springy to the touch, and a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Leave in the tin to cool a little then turn onto a wire rack, cover and leave overnight.
- Cut the cake into 16 squares, spread evenly on all sides with the jam then roll into the desiccated coconut until evenly coated.
Recipe courtesy of: www.streamlinefoods.co.uk