Chicken and Mushroom Pie
You can make this chicken and mushroom pie either with brown or white meat or a combination of both. The same goes for the mushrooms – use either fresh or dried or whatever you can get hold of. Chestnut, portabello and oyster mushrooms are great for this recipe. Fresh tarragon is much better than dried for this recipe, but do remember that it’s a strongly flavoured herb, so don’t add too much.
We have teamed up with our friends from The Mushroom Bureau to bring you this recipe. They are responsible for the generic publicity of all fresh cultivated mushrooms sold in Britain. October is officially the Month for Mushrooms! The Bureau is funded voluntarily by its members who are predominantly mushroom growers and trade alliances to the industry in the UK, Ireland and continental Europe.
CHICKEN AND MUSHROOM PIE
Serves 6 – 8
What you will need…
- 375g (13oz) ready-rolled all-butter puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
For the filling…
- 1 x 1.5kg (31b 4oz) chicken
- 2 onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 75g (3oz) butter
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 350g (12oz) mushrooms (such as chestnut, portabello and oyster) – roughly chopped but not too large
- 150ml (5fl oz) white wine
- 150ml (5fl oz) double cream
- 4 sprigs of tarragon, leaves only
- Salt and black pepper
- One 20x30cm (8x12in) pie dish or ovenproof dish
What to do:
- Place the chicken in a large saucepan with half the onions and the bay leaf. Season with a little salt and pepper and cover with water. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 45 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside to cool. Return the pan to the hob and cook the stock on a rapid boil for a further 30 minutes or until it has reduced by half. Meanwhile, remove the meat from the chicken legs, thighs and carcass, then place in the pie dish.
- Preheat the oven to 220ºC (425ºF), gas 7. Heat the olive oil and butter in a large frying pan, add the remaining onions and cook over a low-medium heat, without browning, for about 5 minutes or until softened, then add the flour. Turn up the heat and then add the mushrooms and cook for a further 3-4 minutes
- Strain the stock, then add to the mushrooms and cook for 1 minute. Pour in the wine and cream, then bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Season, then pour it over the chicken and sprinkle tarragon leaves over the top.
- Cut out a disc of pastry 2cm (3/4in) wider all round than the pie dish. Brush the edges of the dish with beaten egg and lay the pastry on top, crimping the edges with a fork or your fingertips. Trim away any excess pastry and brush the top of the pie with the remaining egg. Place on a baking tray and brake for 30-35 minutes or until the pastry is crisp and golden. Then remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before serving with the new potatoes and French beans.
More to Mushrooms YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/moretomushrooms
Latest posts by Sally - Silversurfer's Editor (see all)
- 5 Overseas Hampers to send to loved ones abroad - October 22, 2021
- 8 Calendars to help you make the most of 2022 - October 22, 2021
- Must-read annuals guaranteed to entertain - October 22, 2021
- Plan a Christmas to remember with our range of thoughtful gifts for your loved ones - October 22, 2021
- Have you been able to book your Covid Booster yet? - October 21, 2021