Creamy Two Potato and Mushroom Gratin
This delicious recipe for creamy two potato and mushroom gratin, can either be served as a complete meal, with a mixed leaf salad, or green vegetables, or it can be served as an accompaniment to grilled fish, chicken or bacon. Its combination of sweet and regular potato give it a depth of flavour, and tastes so good with the mushroom combination. A very versatile little recipe to keep up your sleeve!
We have teamed up with our friends from The Mushroom Bureau to bring you this recipe. They are responsible for the generic publicity of all fresh cultivated mushrooms sold in Britain. The Bureau is funded voluntarily by its members who are predominantly mushroom growers and trade alliances to the industry in the UK, Ireland and continental Europe.
Cook: 1hr 30mins
Approximate total cost: £3.90
15ml/1 tbsp olive oil
350g/12oz mixture of open and closed cup mushrooms, sliced
1 clove garlic, crushed
2.5ml/1/2tsp freshly grated nutmeg
675g/11/2lb old potatoes, peeled
450g/1lb sweet potatoes, peeled
300ml/1/2pt full fat milk
50g/2oz Cheddar cheese, grated
1. Preheat the oven to 190CFan/170C/GasMark5. Heat the butter and oil together in a frying pan, add the mushrooms and cook over a high heat until the mushrooms are soft and the juices have evaporated. Stir in the garlic and nutmeg and remove from the heat.
2. Slice both kinds of potatoes to about the thickness of a pound coin. Arrange half over the base of a 1.4ltr/2 1/2pt ovenproof dish and season. Scatter over half of the mushrooms. Repeat the layers.
3. Pour the milk over the potatoes and mushrooms. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 1hour.
4. Remove from the oven, scatter over the cheese and bake for a further 25mins or until the top is golden and the potatoes are golden brown. Serve on its own as a warming supper, with bacon or the Sunday roast.
Most supermarkets sell ‘economy mushrooms’ these are usually 1kg trays of mushrooms which are a mixture of open and closed cup mushrooms, they tend to be lots of shapes and sizes, but taste great nonetheless and are a cheaper alternative to other mushrooms.
More to Mushrooms YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/moretomushrooms
For more delicious recipes click here ←
Latest posts by Silversurfer's Editor (see all)
- Which travel adventure is top of your Bucket List? - June 26, 2017
- Does the country need a new ‘caretaker’ prime minister? - June 25, 2017
- Escape to Ardencote Manor - June 25, 2017
- Five Essentials for Carers Looking After Someone with Dementia - June 22, 2017
- Over 50s ‘should have more sex to boost their IQ’ - June 22, 2017
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!