Creamy Two Potato and Mushroom Gratin
This delicious recipe for creamy two potato and mushroom gratin, can either be served as a complete meal, with a mixed leaf salad, or green vegetables, or it can be served as an accompaniment to grilled fish, chicken or bacon. Its combination of sweet and regular potato give it a depth of flavour, and tastes so good with the mushroom combination. A very versatile little recipe to keep up your sleeve!
We have teamed up with our friends from The Mushroom Bureau to bring you this recipe. They are responsible for the generic publicity of all fresh cultivated mushrooms sold in Britain. The Bureau is funded voluntarily by its members who are predominantly mushroom growers and trade alliances to the industry in the UK, Ireland and continental Europe.
Cook: 1hr 30mins
Approximate total cost: £3.90
15ml/1 tbsp olive oil
350g/12oz mixture of open and closed cup mushrooms, sliced
1 clove garlic, crushed
2.5ml/1/2tsp freshly grated nutmeg
675g/11/2lb old potatoes, peeled
450g/1lb sweet potatoes, peeled
300ml/1/2pt full fat milk
50g/2oz Cheddar cheese, grated
1. Preheat the oven to 190CFan/170C/GasMark5. Heat the butter and oil together in a frying pan, add the mushrooms and cook over a high heat until the mushrooms are soft and the juices have evaporated. Stir in the garlic and nutmeg and remove from the heat.
2. Slice both kinds of potatoes to about the thickness of a pound coin. Arrange half over the base of a 1.4ltr/2 1/2pt ovenproof dish and season. Scatter over half of the mushrooms. Repeat the layers.
3. Pour the milk over the potatoes and mushrooms. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 1hour.
4. Remove from the oven, scatter over the cheese and bake for a further 25mins or until the top is golden and the potatoes are golden brown. Serve on its own as a warming supper, with bacon or the Sunday roast.
Most supermarkets sell ‘economy mushrooms’ these are usually 1kg trays of mushrooms which are a mixture of open and closed cup mushrooms, they tend to be lots of shapes and sizes, but taste great nonetheless and are a cheaper alternative to other mushrooms.
More to Mushrooms YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/moretomushrooms
For more delicious recipes click here ←
Latest posts by Sally - Silversurfer's Editor (see all)
- 7 Scottish Gift ideas for Christmas - November 29, 2021
- Silversurfers Book Club Winter 2021 - November 29, 2021
- Don’t miss out on a fantastic Black Friday Weekend Offer at Silversurfers Shop - November 26, 2021
- 5 Festive films for a movie night to remember - November 25, 2021
- What to expect onboard from Emirates - November 25, 2021