Curried beetroot and lentil shepherd’s pie
This tasty vegetarian recipe is a spin on the traditional shepherd’s pie.
Packed with tasty veg, this dish swaps minced lamb for beetroot and lentils instead. It’s also dairy-free, so it’s suitable for any vegans out there, too.
Serves: 2-3 Prep time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- 3 medium sized potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 60ml unsweetened almond milk or buttermilk
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 250g Sweet Chilli Beetroot, chopped in half
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 sticks of celery, chopped
- 100g dry lentils
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp medium curry powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 600ml vegetable stock
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 200C/180C for a fan oven.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and add the chopped potatoes. Cook at a controlled boil for 10 to 15 minutes, until potatoes are soft when poked with a fork.
- Strain potatoes and mash them with the almond milk until smooth and creamy adding sea salt to taste. Set mashed potatoes aside for later.
- In a large frying pan, heat the olive oil and gently fry the onion, carrots, and celery for about 8 minutes until just done.
- Add the dry lentils, curry powder and garlic and sautée for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the vegetable stock and bring mixture to a full boil. Reduce heat and simmer until lentils are cooked through; about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Add the chopped beetroot to the pan and stir to incorporate for about 2 minutes.
- Pour the beetroot and lentil mixture into a medium sized oven dish. Spread the mashed potatoes evenly on top of the vegetables and place the oven dish on a baking sheet.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 30 to 35 minutes, until the shepherd’s pie is bubbly and the potatoes are starting to get brown and crispy.
Recipe courtesy of: www.lovebeetroot.co.uk
Silversurfer's Assistant Editor
Latest posts by Silversurfer's Assistant Editor (see all)
- Clever uses for cream of tartar - February 23, 2018
- Tips for building your online dating profile - February 22, 2018
- Warm Salad of Eastern Pulled Lamb and Chickpeas - February 21, 2018
- Is marriage outdated? - February 20, 2018
- Introducing a new partner to your children and grandchildren - February 19, 2018
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!