Cherry Tart Tatin with Almonds and Vanilla Ice Cream
This is a twist on the original Apple Tart Tatin and you can really impress your guests by serving it with homemade ice cream!
For the tart tatin
350g block puff pastry, thawed if frozen 25g unsalted butter
For spiced syrup (Note: You will only need 3 tbsp of the syrup)
1 vanilla pod, split open
1 cinnamon stick
3 star anise
250g caster sugar
Vanilla ice cream
600ml double cream
200ml whole milk
2 vanilla pods
6 egg yolks
150g vanilla infused caster sugar
60g almonds – skin on
Icing sugar to serve (Optional)
For the vanilla ice cream
1. Pour the double cream, milk into a large saucepan.
2. Split the vanilla pods lengthways and scrape the seeds out using the back of your knife and add to the pan with the milk/cream and the scraped pods.
3. On a medium heat, heat until nearly boiling point then turn off the heat and allow to infuse for a minimum of 30mins. The longer you leave the more the vanilla infuses.
4. When infused, reheat to a simmer.
5. In a mixing bowl whisk the egg yolks and sugar together until light and fluffy.
6. Slowly whisk the mixture infused cream into the bowl with the eggs and sugar. You must keep whisking otherwise you may end up with scramble eggs.
7. Pour back into the saucepan and cook until it reaches 80°c then remove from the heat. You must constantly stir otherwise it will split or scramble. Strain the mixture through a fine sieve so it catches the pods/seeds into a new saucepan. Strain the mixture through a fine sieve so it catches the pods/seeds into a new saucepan.
8. Allow to cool to room temp. 9. Once cooled add to your ice cream maker and churn for 35-40 mins until it reaches ice cream consistency. If you do not own a ice cream machine, pour the mixer into a Tupperware container. After an hour remove from the freezer, stir then return to the freezer. Repeat this until it becomes ice cream consistency. Serve straight away.
For spiced syrup
1. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla pod and place in a saucepan with the pod, the cinnamon stick, cloves, star anise, caster sugar and 250ml water. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar, then boil for 2–3minutes. Remove from the heat.
For tart tatin
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C/Gas Mark 7. For this recipe you need a 20cm tart tatin dish or ovenproof frying pan. Roll out the pastry on a floured work surface to a 26cm diameter round, or 3cm bigger than your dish. Leave to rest until ready to assemble the tart.
2. Heat the butter and 3 tablespoons of the spiced syrup in the tart tatin dish over a Medium heat until golden brown and starting to form a caramel. Add the cherries and turn down heat and cook for a further 5 mins. Remove from the heat and allow to cool to room temp.
3. Loosely roll up the pastry around the rolling pin, then carefully unroll over the top of the tart. Tuck the pastry down the sides (inside the dish) with your fingers. Using a sharp knife make 3 small insertions to the middle of the pastry to allow the steam to escape the pastry. Bake for 30–35 minutes or until the pastry is crisp and golden. Remove from the oven and allow to settle for 10 minutes, then turn out the tart on to a plate (set the inverted plate on top of the dish and, holding the two firmly together, quickly flip over).
For the almonds
1. Preheat oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 4.
2. Place the almonds onto a baking tray and cook for 3-5mins until they start to release their scent.
3. Put into a pestle and mortar and crush into rough chunks. 4. Set aside until ready to plate.
1. Slice the tart into sixths.
2. Dust with icing sugar, if using.
3. Add a good scoop of the ice cream and scatter over the almonds.
The syrup will keep for at least 6 months in an airtight jar in the fridge. I have some in the fridge at all times. Will be nice in tea so it has a chai latte flavour. Also if you reduced it further to a sticky syrup would be great to drizzle just on ice cream or even served with roasted fruit. Works well with crumbles too so they could even try it in a cherry crumble.
Latest posts by Sally - Silversurfer's Editor (see all)
- Support plants for a lifetime with mycorrhizal fungi - April 16, 2021
- How to lower your blood pressure and cholesterol - April 16, 2021
- Discover the freedom of the forest - April 15, 2021
- Brexit, current travel restrictions & reasons why now is the best time to invest in a UK holiday home - April 15, 2021
- 5 Gorgeous Shrubs for the Garden - April 15, 2021
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!