Diabetic-friendly silky chocolate mousse
“Silken tofu is creamy and smooth, with a subtle flavour that lends itself to thicken and create this chocolatey treat,” explains chef and presenter, Phil Vickery. “It just happens to be vegan and low-calorie too.”
Give this tofu-based mousse a go…
Silky chocolate mousse from Diabetes Meal Planner by Phil Vickery
150g silken tofu, drained
2tsp vanilla extract
1tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
5g dark chocolate
1. Pat dry the tofu and then puree in a food-processor or blender for a few seconds until smooth.
2. Add the vanilla, sift in the cocoa (to avoid lumps) and blend briefly.
3. Melt the chocolate on low power in a microwave until runny. (If the chocolate cools too fast the texture might become grainy instead of mixing in smoothly.) Add to the tofu mixture in the food-processor. Pulse until smooth.
4. Divide between two little serving dishes, such as ramekins, and pop in the fridge to chill until ready to serve.
Nutrition Tips: Serving with a few cherries or raspberries on the side will add some useful fibre. Dark chocolate with a high cocoa content (70% or more) is a good source of iron, magnesium, copper, manganese, potassium, phosphorus, zinc and selenium.
SATURATED FAT 1.1g
TOTAL SUGARS 1.6g
Diabetes Meal Planner by Phil Vickery with Bea Harling BSc, photography by Kate Whitaker, is published by Kyle Books and supported by Diabetes UK, priced £22. Available now.
The Press Association
Latest posts by The Press Association (see all)
- Type 2 diabetes rates have doubled – could you be at risk? - May 12, 2021
- Davina McCall: At 53, I am so much fitter than I was in my 20s - May 12, 2021
- Could mushrooms be the health-booster you’re missing? - May 12, 2021
- Planning a staycation: Where to go (and avoid) for good weather in the UK - May 11, 2021
- Holidaymakers can use NHS app to ‘prove’ vaccine status from Monday - May 11, 2021
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!