Gluten free American-style pancakes
What could be more fitting on Pancake Day than a stack of fluffy, American-style pancakes shared with family and friends?
Today, we’re sharing a spin on a classic – this gluten free recipe makes it easy for anyone on a restricted diet to enjoy a plate of pancakes just as delicious as the original.
Makes: 12 Prep: 10 minutes Cook: 10-15 minutes
- 50g (2oz) fine cornmeal
- 50g (2oz) tapioca flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 200g (7oz) low fat natural yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 150g (5oz) blueberries
- 1-2 tablespoons sunflower oil for frying
- Mix the flours, cinnamon and bicarbonate of soda together in a bowl. Add the yogurt and eggs and whisk together until smooth then fold in the blueberries.
- Heat a little of the oil in a large non-stick frying pan, wipe out the excess with a piece of crumpled kitchen towel. Drop large spoonfuls of the thick batter into the pan and cook for 2- 3 minutes until bubbles can be seen and the undersides are tinged brown.
- Turn the pancakes over with a palette knife and cook the second side for a minute or two. Take out of the pan and keep hot in a folded napkin. Oil the pan once more and cook more pancakes in the same way until all the mixture has been used up, lowering the heat slightly if needed.
- Stack the pancakes on to plates, top with a little butter, extra blueberries and a drizzle of maple syrup or honey.
Use a serving dish for your pancakes and arrange toppings like butter, blueberries, maple syrup and whipped cream at the centre of the table. This informal set up is perfect for enjoying Pancake Day with family and friends.
Recipe from Seasonal Berries