Strawberry and blackberry crumble
This delicious dish is a spin on a classic crumble recipe.
By cooking the crumble and compote separately and bringing them together at the end you can enjoy the unique flavour of rosewater and elderflower and the crunchy texture of the crumble, too.
Give it an elegant finish by serving up in individual glass dishes – large wine glasses or glass tumblers will also do the job if you don’t have any to hand.
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 20 minutes Serves: 6
Divide quantities in half if you are making for 2-3 people
- 50g muscovado sugar
- 65g ground almonds
- 50g plain flour
- 50g cold butter
- 200g strawberries
- 200g fresh blackberries
- 12g caster sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp rosewater
- 2 tbsp elderflower water
- Fresh cream for serving
- To make the crumble, pour the muscovado sugar, ground almonds and flour into a roomy bowl and mix well. Rub in the butter until a lumpy, crumbly dough starts forming.
- Place the crumble mixture on a baking tray that has been lined with baking parchment. Bake for 20 minutes, then set the crumble aside to cool.
- Slice the strawberries into small pieces and then place in a saucepan with the blackberries, caster sugar, and lemon juice.
- Place on a medium heat and keep mixing, so as to form a soft compote syrup, mashing the berries with a wooden spoon. This should take around 8 minutes. Take off the heat to cool slightly and mix in the rosewater and elderflower cordial.
- To serve, place the strawberry compote syrup at the bottom of a serving cup or plate and sprinkle the crumble on top. Serve with fresh cream.
Recipe courtesy of BerryWorld
Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor
Latest posts by Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor (see all)
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!