Strawberry and rhubarb labneh balls
This guilt-free dessert is the perfect mid week pick me up and is easy to make ahead on the weekend.
Strawberry and rhubarb are a delicious combination and the rich labneh adds a bit of tart creaminess to the mix.
Serves: 4 Preparation time: 20 minutes (needs to set overnight) Cooking time: 25 minutes
for the labneh
- 50g icing sugar
- 2/3 tbsp of rosewater to taste
- pinch of salt
- 500g thick Greek Yogurt
for the rhubarb
- 200g rhubarb
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 5 tbsp water
- 400g Viva strawberries, hulled and quartered
- Start making the labneh a couple of days ahead. Line a sieve with a clean doubled piece cheesecloth or soft fabric. Place the sieve over a bowl.
- Stir the icing sugar, rosewater and salt into the yoghurt then pour the yoghurt into the center of the cheesecloth. Pull the four corners of the cheesecloth up and tie it into a bag with string.
- Suspend the tied cheesecloth over the bowl overnight to allow the whey to drain out. If your kitchen is cold enough you can drain the yoghurt outside the fridge, otherwise put it in the fridge overnight. The longer you leave the labneh the firmer it will become, after 12 hours it should be the consistency of cream cheese.
- Remove the labneh from the cloth the next day and store the labneh covered in the refrigerator until needed.
- To make the labneh balls make sure that the labneh is firm enough to use a small spoon to scoop out little walnut-sized balls. Roll them around your hands to shape and place the balls on a clean cloth-lined tray to remove extra moisture. Store in the fridge.
- To make the rhubarb, preheat the oven to 160˚C. Trim and cut the rhubarb into short lengths. Put the pieces into a baking dish, then sprinkle over the sugar and the water. Cover the dish with a piece of foil or a lid and bake for about 25 minutes, or until the rhubarb is soft but still keeps its shape. Allow the rhubarb to cool in its juices. When the rhubarb is cool, drain it reserving the juices.
- To serve, place a few labneh balls on each serving plate, place a pile of rhubarb next to it. Dress the Viva strawberries with a few spoonfuls of the rhubarb juices and then spoon the Viva strawberries and rhubarb juice over the labneh balls and rhubarb.
For a fast alternative, In place of the labneh balls, a dollop of thick Greek yoghurt flavoured with sugar and rosewater can be used.
Recipe courtesy of www.vivastrawberry.co.uk
Silversurfer's Assistant Editor
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!