Summer Berry Galette
Delicious hot or cold, this Summer Berry Galette is a spin on a traditional pie recipe and the perfect after-dinner accompaniment for a traditional Sunday Roast.
Forget the old-fashioned favourites of apple and blackberry; this tangy berry filling is sweet and satisfying, pairing perfectly with the deliciously crumbly rich pastry.
Serves: 6 Prep: 30 minutes Chill: 30 minutes Cook: 30 minutes
For the pastry
- 225g (8oz) plain flour, plus a little extra for dusting
- 50g (2oz) butter, diced
- 50g (2oz) caster sugar
- 100g (4oz) ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 egg yolks
For the filling
- 225g (8oz) strawberries, hulled, halved or quartered
- 400g (14oz) mixed blackberries, raspberries and blueberries
- 3 tablespoons caster sugar, plus a little extra to decorate
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 1 tablespoon strawberry jam
- To make the pastry, add the flour and butter to a bowl and rub in the butter with fingertips or an electric mixer until the mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Stir in the sugar, then add the ricotta, vanilla and egg yolks and mix to a soft dough. Wrap in clingfilm and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C, 170°C fan assisted, Gas 5. Mix the fruits together in a bowl with the sugar and cornflour.
- Tear off a large sheet of non-stick baking paper and dust with a little flour. Roll out the chilled pastry on the paper until a rough shaped circle about 33cm (13 inches) in diameter.
- Lift the pastry, still on the paper on to a 23cm (9inch) shallow loose bottomed flan tin. Pile the fruit into the centre then fold and pleat the pastry over the fruit, peeling away some of the paper as you fold the pastry and leaving the centre of the pie uncovered.
- Bake the galette for about 30 minutes until the pastry is golden brown and crisp around the edges. Lift the pie out of the tart tin, holding the edges of the paper, then fold the paper flat. Glaze the fruit with the jam and dust the top of the pie with a little sugar. Cut into wedges and serve hot with custard.
If you find the pastry a little tricky to roll out even after chilling then cover the top with a second piece of non-stick baking paper and roll out between this paper like sandwich, then peel off when the right size.
Recipe courtesy of Seasonal Berries
Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor
Latest posts by Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor (see all)
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!