Delicious vegan brownies
Vegan brownies are a rich, indulgent sweet treat, perfect to make for friends and family who have a sweet tooth – whether they’re vegan or not.
If you’re making vegan food you won’t be using go-to ingredients like egg, milk or butter. Instead, you’ll usually use oil and dairy-free milk, and rich dark chocolate.
Here are some recipes for vegan brownies that taste just as good as the original.
Basic Chocolate Brownies
For a basic, go-to brownie recipe, try this basic vegan chocolate brownie recipe from BBC food.
- 170g self-raising flour
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 170g caster sugar
- 5 tbsp vegetable oil
- 230ml soy milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Sift the dry ingredients together in one bowl, and mix wet ingredients together in another. Pour the wet into dry and mix carefully together until there are no dry bits remaining. Pour the batter into a greased square cake tin.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, then cool for five minutes before putting them out on a wire rack.
Enjoy with a glass of soya milk or a cup of tea.
Gooey Vegan Chocolate Brownies
Fancy some really decadent, intense chocolate brownies? Look no further than this recipe from Jamie Oliver. The combination of dark chocolate and rich pecans makes these brownies an elegant chocolately treat.
The recipe is straightforward to make and you might already have most of the ingredients in your cupboard from traditional baking, too.
Raspberry Truffle Brownies
Vegan chef Isa Chandra Moskowitz has created a recipe for brownies that aims to be healthier than the others. They use whole-wheat flour and applesauce (which you can usually buy in supermarkets) instead of oil and milk, as well as fresh fruit for added sweetness.
Her raspberry truffle brownies recipe uses a mix of jam and frozen raspberries to help create a sweet, unique taste.
Tips For Success
- When you’re buying chocolate for your brownie, look out for big bars of dark chocolate. Vegan friendly chocolate is normally of the 70% cocoa variety and up. It’s not as hard as you might think to find – for instance, Green and Blacks dark chocolate contains no ingredients derived from animals, and you’ll find supermarkets and health shops selling many other dairy-free and vegan brands
- If you don’t like soy milk then you could experiment with almond milk or even coconut milk in your recipe
- When using U.S. recipes for brownies – or other sweet treats – you’ll find it’s worth investing in measuring cups. You can easily buy these online, in big supermarkets, or in kitchenware and home stores
- If you don’t want to fork out on measuring cups then this cup to gram conversion chart should come in handy.
- Make sure you keep an eye on the clock and do not over bake your brownies, otherwise they will be overcooked and not sufficiently ‘gooey’
- Your cooked brownies should ‘spring back’ when they are lightly pressed
Here is a recipe for Vegan Blackberry & Chocolate Cupcakes too
Have you ever made vegan brownies?
Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor
Latest posts by Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor (see all)
- Rolled pork loin with blackberry, lemon and dried apricot stuffing - February 21, 2019
- The best free puzzle and game apps - February 20, 2019
- Take the Silversurfers grammar quiz – round 2! - February 17, 2019
- The best of Elvis Costello & The Attractions playlist - February 15, 2019
- Raspberry and apple turnovers - February 14, 2019
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!