Very berry pancakes
Celebrate Shrove Tuesday with this quick and simple yet slightly indulgent pancake recipe – makes a change from lemon and sugar, although you could have an extra one too!
The light, thin crepes are the perfect base; add greek yogurt for protein and a generous dollop of berries for some added sweetness.
Serves: 4 Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 15 minutes
For the pancakes
- 100g/4oz plain flour
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 200ml/7fl oz semi skimmed milk
- 2 teaspoons melted butter plus extra for frying
For the strawberry sauce
- 400g/14oz strawberries, hulled, quartered
- 1 lime, finely grated rind only
- 500g/1lb 2oz lemon, vanilla or honey flavoured Greek style yogurt
- 225g/8oz raspberries
- 200g/7oz blueberries or blackberries
- Little sifted icing sugar
- Sift the flour into a bowl, add the egg and egg yolk then gradually whisk in the milk until smooth. Whisk in 2 melted butter and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Add the strawberries to a liquidiser or food processor and blend until smooth. Press through a sieve to remove the seeds, if liked then mix with the lime rind.
- Whisk the pancake batter once more then pour into a jug. Heat a knob of butter in the base of an 18cm/7inch non-stick frying pan, pour out the excess when melted and keep in a small bowl. Pour 2-3 tablespoons of the batter into the hot pan and tilt the pan so that the batter thinly covers the base. Cook for a minute or two until the underside is golden, loosen with a knife then flip over and cook the second side until golden.
- Slide the pancake out of the pan on to a plate and keep hot. Re-butter the pan as before and continue cooking pancakes until all the batter is used up.
- Spoon a little of the yogurt over each pancake, sprinkle with some of the berries then fold in half and arrange two pancakes on each serving plate. Sprinkle with any remaining berries, dust with a little sifted icing sugar and serve with a drizzle of strawberry sauce.
To make chocolate pancakes, add 15g/1/2oz sifted cocoa to the bowl with the flour and up the milk to 225ml/8fl oz. Make and cook as above.
Recipe courtesy of Seasonal Berries
Silversurfer's Assistant Editor
Latest posts by Silversurfer's Assistant Editor (see all)
- Malaysian Spiced Sea bass with Brown Rice - January 17, 2018
- Simple steps to increase your feeling of wellbeing - January 16, 2018
- Do you believe in Blue Monday? - January 15, 2018
- Small adjustments that make a big impact on eating habits - January 12, 2018
- Should the government take a firmer stance on obesity? - January 11, 2018
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!