Quench your thirst with these easy iced tea recipes
If there’s one thing we Brits love it’s a good cup of tea; there’s few things better than a hot brew on a cold winter’s day.
But when the weather is warmer and the days longer, for many of us a hot cup of tea just won’t suffice. If you’re known to turn your back on your teapot in the summer months, these simple iced tea recipes are just what you need to shake things up.
You can still enjoy the refreshing taste of tea, but with a whole new twist – here’s three of our favourite recipes to get you started.
Classic Iced Tea
For the classic iced tea, it’s all about simplicity – this recipe needs only a few ingredients and is ready in about as much time as it takes to make a cuppa. Add a sprig of mint for extra freshness.
- 8 black tea bags
- Ice cubes
- Sliced lemon
- Sugar to taste
What to do
- In a saucepan, bring four cups of water to a boil and remove from heat. Add teabags and allow to steep for five minutes.
- Remove the teabags and pour the tea into a large jug. Add four cups of cold water and a dash of sugar to taste.
- Finish with ice cubes and sliced lemon.
Fruit Iced Tea
Now that you understand the basics of an iced tea recipe, it’s easy to make new and interesting flavour combinations. This fruit iced tea recipe is light, sweet and refreshing – perfect for a hot summer’s day. Replace the soda water with sparkling white wine for a grown up version of this delicious treat.
- 8 fruit tea bags – berry flavours work especially well
- Ice cubes
- Soda water
- Lemon slices or berries to garnish
What to do
- Add your teabags to a large teapot and pour over four cups of boiling water. Allow the tea to steep for five to ten minutes for an extra strong brew. Remove the teabags and allow the tea to cool.
- Fill a glass with ice and pour in your tea mixture until the glass is half way full. Top it up with your soda water and give it a light stir.
- Garnish each cocktail with a lemon slice or a few berries and serve.
Southern Sweet Tea
Sweet tea is a summer staple in the southern United States and a favourite with all who try it – if you find the classic iced tea recipe a little too bitter for your tastes, then this will be right up your street.
- 6 black tea bags
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ cups of sugar
What to do
- Place the tea bags and baking soda in a large bowl or measuring cup. Pour over 2 cups of boiling water. Cover and steep for 15 minutes.
- Carefully remove the tea bags without squeezing them.
- Pour the tea into a large pitcher and add the sugar slowly, stirring until dissolved.
- Add 6 cups of cold water and chill in the refrigerator. Serve over ice.
Have you ever tried iced tea? Are you tempted to give it a go? Let us know in the comments below!
Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor
Latest posts by Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor (see all)
- Has the public lost interest in Christmas adverts? - November 16, 2018
- Try this: make your own vanilla extract - November 15, 2018
- Asparagus, ricotta and pancetta pizza - November 14, 2018
- Recognise the symptoms for World Pancreatic Cancer Day - November 13, 2018
- Know your risks on World Diabetes Day - November 12, 2018
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!