Easy Festive Canapés
Festive entertaining should be fun for all – including the host!
Instead of a sit down meal, canapés are a fuss-free way to feed your guests without spending the evening standing over the stove.
Today we’re sharing a brand new recipe plus a few of our favourites you can use this Christmas and for New Year too.
Shallot, Prawn and Thai Rice Noodle Salad in Filo Baskets
Makes: 30 canapés Prep time: 20 minutes Cooking time: 10 minutes
For the filo tart shells:
- 4 sheets Filo pastry
- 2-3 tbsp melted butter
- 1 x 12 Canapé sized muffin tin
For the filling:
- 2 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 150g prawns
- 50g cooked rice noodles, chopped
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp Asian fish sauce
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp mint leaves, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 2 tsp lime zest, grated
- 2 red chillies, deseeded and very finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 180°c/350°f/Gas 4.
- Prepare the filo shells. Brush one sheet of filo pastry with melted butter. Place another sheet on top and brush well with butter and cut out rounds approx. 4cm diameter. Then line the muffin tins with the pastry (two sheets thick as they have been cut out). Bake until golden brown – approx. 4 – 5 minutes. Remove all shells from the tin, cool and set aside and use within one week or freeze for one month.
- To make the salad filling, mix together the shallots, prawns, noodles, soy, lime, fish sauce, sugar, sweet chilli sauce, fresh herbs (keep some coriander leaves aside for garnish), tomatoes, sesame seeds, lime zest and chillies.
- To serve, divide the mixture between the filo tartlets. Garnish with remaining coriander leaves.
Recipe courtesy of UK shallots
Chicken Liver Pate with Blackberry Chutney
This recipe for simple brandied chicken liver pate with quick cook blackberry and red onion chutney is quick to make and will impress your guests.
Smoked salmon on blinis with wasabi
These smoked salmon canapés wake up your taste buds with wasabi and are as quick to prepare as they are delicious.
Stilton and Apricot Canapés
These tasty little mouth sized canapés look stunning as well as being lower in sugar due to the use of Streamline Apricot Jam, and are extremely simple to make.
Satay Chicken in Baby Gem Lettuce Cups
These baby gem lettuce cups are the perfect party canapés – the rich, nutty flavour of the satay chicken is perfectly satisfying, while light gem lettuce cups mean it’s a great nutritious option, too.
Looking for more inspiration? Check our our collection of celebration canapes for the festive season.
Silversurfer's Features Editor
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!