Festive recipes: starters and sides
Festive entertaining should be fun for all – including the host!
Instead of a sit-down meal, canapés are a fuss-free way to feed your guests without spending the evening standing over the stove.
Today we’re sharing a brand new recipe plus a few of our favourites you can use this Christmas and for New Year too.
Cranberry and Goats Cheese Filo Parcels
These golden, tasty and crispy filo parcels are perfect for parties and Christmas entertaining. They can be made and frozen ahead of time and simply cooked on the day – perfect if you’re trying to get a jump on the busy festive period.
Shallot, Prawn and Thai Rice Noodle Salad in Filo Baskets
Makes: 30 canapés Prep time: 20 minutes Cooking time: 10 minutes
For the filo tart shells:
- 4 sheets Filo pastry
- 2-3 tbsp melted butter
- 1 x 12 Canapé sized muffin tin
For the filling:
- 2 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 150g prawns
- 50g cooked rice noodles, chopped
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp Asian fish sauce
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp mint leaves, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 2 tsp lime zest, grated
- 2 red chillies, deseeded and very finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 180°c/350°f/Gas 4.
- Prepare the filo shells. Brush one sheet of filo pastry with melted butter. Place another sheet on top and brush well with butter and cut out rounds approx. 4cm diameter. Then line the muffin tins with the pastry (two sheets thick as they have been cut out). Bake until golden brown – approx. 4 – 5 minutes. Remove all shells from the tin, cool and set aside and use within one week or freeze for one month.
- To make the salad filling, mix together the shallots, prawns, noodles, soy, lime, fish sauce, sugar, sweet chilli sauce, fresh herbs (keep some coriander leaves aside for garnish), tomatoes, sesame seeds, lime zest and chillies.
- To serve, divide the mixture between the filo tartlets. Garnish with remaining coriander leaves.
Recipe courtesy of UK shallots
Chicken Liver Pate with Blackberry Chutney
This recipe for simple brandied chicken liver pate with quick cook blackberry and red onion chutney is quick to make and will impress your guests.
Smoked salmon on blinis with wasabi
These smoked salmon canapés wake up your taste buds with wasabi and are as quick to prepare as they are delicious.
Stilton and Apricot Canapés
These tasty little mouth sized canapés look stunning as well as being lower in sugar due to the use of Streamline Apricot Jam, and are extremely simple to make.
Satay Chicken in Baby Gem Lettuce Cups
These baby gem lettuce cups are the perfect party canapés – the rich, nutty flavour of the satay chicken is perfectly satisfying, while light gem lettuce cups mean it’s a great nutritious option, too.
Looking for more inspiration? Check out our collection of celebration canapes for the festive season.