Classic Prawn Cocktail Salad
The prawn cocktail was the height of fashion in the 60s and 70s.
The dish was a firm favourite for entertaining. And while the glamour of the prawn cocktail may have faded slightly, it’s still delicious as ever – relive fond memories with this retro classic.
Serves: 2 Prep time: 15 minutes
- ½ Iceberg Lettuce, shredded (250g)
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup (50g)
- 1 tbsp low fat mayonnaise (50g)
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2-3 dashes Tabasco sauce to taste
- 200g cooked peeled prawns, defrosted if frozen
- Pinch of smoked paprika
What to do
- Toss the iceberg and parsley together and place ⅔ in the base of 2 glass serving dishes. Dry the prawns on a few sheets of kitchen roll. Mix together the ketchup, mayonnaise,
Worcestershire and Tabasco sauces then stir in the prawns. Spoon the prawn mixture into the serving dishes and top with the remaining lettuce. Finish with a sprinkle with smoked paprika. Serve immediately.
Try replacing the iceberg with shredded round lettuce and use tiger prawns with a little harissa paste for extra spice. Serve in 4 wine glasses for the classic 1970s effect.
Recipe courtesy of Leafy Salad
Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor
Latest posts by Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor (see all)
- Clever uses for fabric conditioner - November 29, 2021
- Get Ready for Stir-up Sunday - November 19, 2021
- Eco friendly gift wrap options - November 15, 2021
- Tips for an eco-friendly Christmas - November 12, 2021
- Find craft inspiration from the best Martha Stewart videos - November 11, 2021