Nadia Sawalha’s Pretend Paella
For a quick supper, this cheat’s dish is ideal
This simple paella can be rustled up very quickly … and tastes every bit as good as the real thing!
2–3tbsp olive oil
2 onions, sliced
3 medium tomatoes, cut into 8
3–6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
300g basmati rice
Pinch of saffron threads
1 heaped tsp smoked paprika (optional)
150ml dry sherry or white wine
400ml hot fish stock (from a cube is fine)
400g pack of frozen seafood mix
100g frozen peas
Lemon wedges, to serve
Handful of chopped parsley leaves, to serve
1. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook for two to three minutes, stirring, until softened. Add the tomatoes and stir.
2. Add the rice, saffron and paprika (if using), and stir for one minute.
3. Pour in the sherry or wine. Increase the heat to bring up to the bubble for one minute, stirring to burn off the alcohol, then reduce the heat to medium.
4. Add the stock and seafood mix, cover, and simmer very gently for 15 minutes over a low heat, or until the rice and fish are cooked. Add the peas three minutes before the end. Don’t stir.
5. When the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, you’re ready to go, with a good squeeze from the lemon wedges, and a flourish of chopped parsley.
Tip: Feel free to add chunks of fried chorizo, if you eat meat.
Latest posts by Sally - Silversurfer's Editor (see all)
- Should a gingerbread man become a gingerbread person? - December 18, 2018
- What are the Rules When Gifting Assets? - December 17, 2018
- Win a £50 Amazon eVoucher! - December 16, 2018
- Win a NUTRiBULLET! - December 14, 2018
- Blackberry and Blueberry Christmas Cake - December 13, 2018
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!