Pasta with leeks, chilli & prawns is extremely tasty and really quick to rustle up if you are short of time in three simple steps! It is low in saturated fat too!
Ready in about 10 minutes
Costs £1.13 per serving
300g/11oz spaghetti or linguine
3 tbsp olive oil
2 medium leeks, trimmed and sliced
200g/7oz large, raw peeled frozen prawns, thawed and patted dry with kitchen paper
175g/6oz cherry tomatoes, halved
1 tsp dried chilli flakes
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 lemon, zested
handful fresh flat-leaf parsley
WHAT TO DO:
1. Boil the pasta in salted water for 8 minutes, or follow pack instructions. Meanwhile, heat 2 tbsp oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and add the leeks and some seasoning. Sizzle for 5 minutes, stirring often, until softened and turning golden here and there. Remove to a plate.
2. Heat the remaining oil, turn up the heat and wait a few seconds for the pan to get really hot. Add the prawns and tomatoes with a pinch of salt and pepper. Fry for 2-3 minutes until the prawns turn pink all the way through. Add the chilli flakes, garlic and lemon zest, cook for 1 minute more, then add the leeks back to the pan. Turn the heat down.
3. Save a cup of the pasta cooking water, then drain. Tip the pasta into the leek mix, add 5 tbsp of the cooking water, the juice from half the lemon and the parsley and toss well. The pasta shouldn’t be dry – add more of the water if needed. Season to taste, then serve in bowls with the rest of the lemon cut into wedges, for squeezing.
Latest posts by Silversurfers Editor (see all)
- by Barbara Wooldridge - October 25, 2016
- Ever Fancied Owning Your Own Racehorse? - October 25, 2016
- Discover the gems of the Middle East - October 25, 2016
- Ace acers by Lynne Turner - October 24, 2016
- Regain control over your electric heating with Dimplex Quantum - October 24, 2016