Sweet Gem and Cod braised with peas
This delicious and simple recipe is an excellent healthy lunch idea or perfect for a mid-week supper.
It can be on the table in less than half an hour too – perfect for busy days.
Serves: 2 Prep time: 5 minutes Cook time: 20 minutes
- 90g Smoked bacon lardons
- 2 Sweet Gem Lettuce, sliced in half
- lengthways and any hard core removed
- 6 Spring onions
- 2 handfuls frozen peas
- 200g vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 x 150g cod fillets, skinless and boneless
- 2 tbsp creme fraiche (low fat if you prefer)
- 1 sprig mint
- Heat a large frying pan, with a lid, and cook the lardons until brown and crisp. Transfer to a plate and set aside leaving approx. 1tbsp fat in the pan.
- Lay the lettuce in the pan cut side down and sizzle for 2 minutes. Use a tongs to carefully turn the lettuce over, tuck the spring onions around and tip in the peas.
- Carefully pour the stock into the pan, lay the cod pieces on top and season. Put the lid on the pan and leave to gently steam and simmer for 8-10 minutes until the cod is cooked through and the veg are soft.
- Lift the veg and cod out onto two warmed wide bowls and keep warm. Stir in the creme fraiche into the remaining cooking liquor. Check the seasoning and pour the sauce over the cod and veg top with crisp lardons and torn mint leaves.
Recipe courtesy of Make More of Salad
Silversurfer's Assistant Editor
Latest posts by Silversurfer's Assistant Editor (see all)
- Silversurfers Book Club Winter 2018 - January 19, 2018
- Clever uses for tea bags - January 18, 2018
- Malaysian Spiced Sea bass with Brown Rice - January 17, 2018
- Simple steps to increase your feeling of wellbeing - January 16, 2018
- Do you believe in Blue Monday? - January 15, 2018
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!