As summer starts to roll in you might find that the hearty recipes you cooked all winter suddenly aren’t so appealing. Longer days and warmer temperatures have us turning to fresh, easy meals instead so we can make the most of the nicer days.
If you need a new recipe to mix up your usual weekday repertoire, look no further: this watercress and garlic dip with king prawns is quick, satisfying and delicious. Serve it on a bed of leaves with your favourite grains or add it as the final flourish to your favourite barbeque dinner – this recipe is one you’ll want to make again and again!
Serves: 4 Prep time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 potato, peeled and chopped
- 100ml dry white wine
- 1 pinch of chilli flakes
- 170g watercress
- squeeze of lemon juice
- 4 tbsp half fat créme fraiche
- King prawns, barbecued
- wedges of lemon to serve
- Heat the oil in a frying pan add the shallot and sauté over a gentle heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, potato, wine and chilli, cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until the potato is tender.
- Add the watercress and cook, stirring for 4 minutes until the leaves have wilted. Cool.
- Add the créme fraiche, then transfer to a food processor and blitz until just smooth. Season to taste. Spoon the dip into a bowl ready to serve with the prawns.
- Cook the prawns on a barbeque or griddle for 3-4 minutes on each side until they turn pink. Place on to the plate while still sizzling hot.
- The dip can be served with barbecued fish and meat or for a vegetarian option with roasted vegetables and warm pitta bread.
Recipe courtesy of www.watercress.co.uk