Five Spice Beef with Vegetables
Five Spice Beef with Vegetables is a perfect meal to serve as a casual supper, and with Chinese New Year on 10th February, a great dish to celebrate in authentic Chinese style!
- 450g/1lb minute, sirloin or rump steaks, cut into 10cm/5inch strips
- 15-30ml/1-2tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 x 5cm/2inch piece fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- ½ bunch spring onions, finely chopped
- 5ml/1tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- 225g/8oz Savoy cabbage or spring greens, finely shredded
- 100g/4oz sugar snap peas
- Freshly milled black pepper
- 60ml/4tbsp soy sauce
- 75ml/5tbsp clear honey
- 60ml/4tbsp pineapple juice
- Juice of 1 lime
- 25g/1oz toasted cashew nuts, to garnish
Heat the oil in a large non-stick wok or frying pan and stir-fry the beef strips for 1-2 minutes with the garlic, ginger, spring onion and five-spice powder.
Add the Savoy cabbage or spring greens and sugar snap peas. Stir-fry for 1-2 minutes. Season and reduce the heat.
In a small bowl mix together the soy sauce, honey, pineapple and lime juice. Add to the pan with the cashew nuts and heat for 2-3 minutes.
Serve with egg-fried rice or noodles.
TIP: If you prefer, you can substitute the beef with chicken, prawns or even tofu
Recipe supplied by: Simply Beef and Lamb
To visit Simply Lamb and Beef click here ←
Image provided by EBLEX
Latest posts by Sally - Silversurfer's Editor (see all)
- Weightlessness – The secret to a great night’s sleep - January 17, 2020
- The dangers of Sepsis - January 17, 2020
- Which side of the bed do you sleep on? - January 17, 2020
- How often do you wash your bed sheets? - January 17, 2020
- Top tips for savings success in 2020 - January 16, 2020
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!