Five Spice Beef with Vegetables is a perfect meal to serve as a casual supper, and with Chinese New Year on 10th February, a great dish to celebrate in authentic Chinese style!
- 450g/1lb minute, sirloin or rump steaks, cut into 10cm/5inch strips
- 15-30ml/1-2tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 x 5cm/2inch piece fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- ½ bunch spring onions, finely chopped
- 5ml/1tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- 225g/8oz Savoy cabbage or spring greens, finely shredded
- 100g/4oz sugar snap peas
- Freshly milled black pepper
- 60ml/4tbsp soy sauce
- 75ml/5tbsp clear honey
- 60ml/4tbsp pineapple juice
- Juice of 1 lime
- 25g/1oz toasted cashew nuts, to garnish
Heat the oil in a large non-stick wok or frying pan and stir-fry the beef strips for 1-2 minutes with the garlic, ginger, spring onion and five-spice powder.
Add the Savoy cabbage or spring greens and sugar snap peas. Stir-fry for 1-2 minutes. Season and reduce the heat.
In a small bowl mix together the soy sauce, honey, pineapple and lime juice. Add to the pan with the cashew nuts and heat for 2-3 minutes.
Serve with egg-fried rice or noodles.
TIP: If you prefer, you can substitute the beef with chicken, prawns or even tofu
Recipe supplied by: Simply Beef and Lamb
To visit Simply Lamb and Beef click here ←
Image provided by EBLEX
Latest posts by Silversurfers Editor (see all)
- by Barbara Wooldridge - October 25, 2016
- Ever Fancied Owning Your Own Racehorse? - October 25, 2016
- Discover the gems of the Middle East - October 25, 2016
- Ace acers by Lynne Turner - October 24, 2016
- Regain control over your electric heating with Dimplex Quantum - October 24, 2016