Eggcellent recipes for all meal times
Packed with protein and boasting 18 different vitamins and minerals, eggs are very nutritious as well as delicious.
Find great ways to enjoy one of the most versatile foods around with our great guide egg recipes for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Lets get cracking.
For a delicious dish that will keep you full all morning, try this simple egg casserole.
- Start by sautéing 75g of mushrooms and whisking 2 eggs with salt and pepper. Grease a small baking dish and line the bottom with two slices of soft, white bread.
- Sprinkle a handful of cooked ham (or bacon), over the bread, half a thinly sliced onion and 25 grams of grated cheddar. Pour half of your cup of egg over the top then create another layer of bread and repeat, finishing off with the last of your egg.
- Cover with clingfilm and use a few tins of beans to weight the mixture. You can also leave it in the fridge overnight but you’re better to let it return to room temperature before baking at 160 degrees for around 50min. Let it stand for 10min before serving.
Cheese and ham eggy bread
Perfect for breakfast or a quick lunch, this is one melt in the mouth sandwich.
- Beat 5 eggs with a little salt and pepper then make four ham and cheese sandwiches in the normal way then. Dip two of the sandwiches in the egg mixture, letting it soak in to the bread.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a non-stick frying pan then carefully lay your sandwiches in the pan. Cook for 3 minutes on each side carefully turning with a spatula. Keep cooking until the bread is golden brown.
- Repeat for remaining two sandwiches, cut and serve.
Cheese and mushroom pizza omelette
Swap carbs for protein-rich eggs and you’ve got a pizza dish perfect for lunch or light dinners.
- Sauté 150g mushrooms in a little oil then set aside. Beat 6 eggs with salt and pepper then pour into pre-heated pan and cook for about two minutes over a medium heat, keep moving the eggs as they cook so that no runny egg remains and the base becomes golden.
- Place omelette under a hot grill for a minute or two or until you can see that the top is set.
- Remove from grill and spoon tomato pizza sauce over the surface. Top with a pack of sliced mozzarella and sautéed mushrooms then place back under the grill until the cheese is melted.
Oven-baked egg and chips
Give this classic combination a healthy makeover with this simple recipe.
- Heat oven and chop two potatoes into chunky wedges. Place in roasting tin, flavour with paprika, salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Roast for 25min, turning once.
- Chop two tomatoes in half and pop them in beside the potatoes, cut side up. Move your wedges and tomatoes to the side to make two separate space in the bottom of the roasting tin then crack an egg into each.
- Cook for a further 6 to 8min, checking until eggs are just set then serve.
What’s your favourite eggstravaganza?
Silversurfer's Assistant Editor
Latest posts by Silversurfer's Assistant Editor (see all)
- Tips to keep your dog cool this summer - June 21, 2018
- Asparagus, spinach & avocado salad with crunchy spiced oats - June 20, 2018
- Lifelong gift ideas for grandchildren - June 18, 2018
- Silversurfers Book Club Summer 2018 - June 18, 2018
- One pan sausage meatball roast - June 15, 2018
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!