Packed with protein and boasting 18 different vitamins and minerals, eggs are very nutritious as well as delicious.
Find great ways to enjoy one of the most versatile foods around with our great guide egg recipes for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Lets get cracking.
For a delicious dish that will keep you full all morning, try this simple egg casserole.
- Start by sautéing 75g of mushrooms and whisking 2 eggs with salt and pepper. Grease a small baking dish and line the bottom with two slices of soft, white bread.
- Sprinkle a handful of cooked ham (or bacon), over the bread, half a thinly sliced onion and 25 grams of grated cheddar. Pour half of your cup of egg over the top then create another layer of bread and repeat, finishing off with the last of your egg.
- Cover with clingfilm and use a few tins of beans to weight the mixture. You can also leave it in the fridge overnight but you’re better to let it return to room temperature before baking at 160 degrees for around 50min. Let it stand for 10min before serving.
Cheese and ham eggy bread
Perfect for breakfast or a quick lunch, this is one melt in the mouth sandwich.
- Beat 5 eggs with a little salt and pepper then make four ham and cheese sandwiches in the normal way then. Dip two of the sandwiches in the egg mixture, letting it soak in to the bread.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a non-stick frying pan then carefully lay your sandwiches in the pan. Cook for 3 minutes on each side carefully turning with a spatula. Keep cooking until the bread is golden brown.
- Repeat for remaining two sandwiches, cut and serve.
Cheese and mushroom pizza omelette
Swap carbs for protein-rich eggs and you’ve got a pizza dish perfect for lunch or light dinners.
- Sauté 150g mushrooms in a little oil then set aside. Beat 6 eggs with salt and pepper then pour into pre-heated pan and cook for about two minutes over a medium heat, keep moving the eggs as they cook so that no runny egg remains and the base becomes golden.
- Place omelette under a hot grill for a minute or two or until you can see that the top is set.
- Remove from grill and spoon tomato pizza sauce over the surface. Top with a pack of sliced mozzarella and sautéed mushrooms then place back under the grill until the cheese is melted.
Oven-baked egg and chips
Give this classic combination a healthy makeover with this simple recipe.
- Heat oven and chop two potatoes into chunky wedges. Place in roasting tin, flavour with paprika, salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Roast for 25min, turning once.
- Chop two tomatoes in half and pop them in beside the potatoes, cut side up. Move your wedges and tomatoes to the side to make two separate space in the bottom of the roasting tin then crack an egg into each.
- Cook for a further 6 to 8min, checking until eggs are just set then serve.
What’s your favourite eggstravaganza?