Oriental Lamb Kebabs with Soy & Honey Dipping Sauce
Celebrate Chinese New Year with this delicious and simple recipe for lamb kebab. Inspired by traditional Chinese flavours and ingredients, ditch the takeaway this weekend and try this dish instead!
Serves: 4 Prep Time: 2 ½ hours Cooking Time: 16 minutes
For the lamb kebabs
- 450g leg of lamb cut into 3cm dice
- 24 medium shallots peeled
- 8 bayleaves
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil for cooking
- 8 large wooden kebab sticks soaked in hot water to prevent them from burning in the cooking process
For the marinade
- 2 large oranges, rind grated and then juiced
- 1 lime, rind grated and then juiced
- 2tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 2tbsp dark soy sauce
- 3tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1tbsp vegetable oil
- 1tbsp tomato ketchup
- 8 whole star anise
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and crushed into a paste
- Freshly ground black pepper
Dipping sauce to serve
- 1 red chilli diced finely without the seeds
- A handful of coriander finely chopped
- 1 tbsp of runny honey
- 1tbsp of dark soy sauce
- 1tbsp of light soy sauce
- A dash of sesame seed oil
- The juice of two limes
- Mix together all the ingredients for the marinade stirring well.
- Thread a bay leaf onto the first skewer and then alternate the shallots and the lamb onto the wooden skewer and repeat with all skewers. Lay the kebabs in a shallow dish and then pour over the marinade and leave to marinate for at least 2 hours, if possible overnight, in a fridge.
- Heat a heavy based grill pan or a frying pan, drizzle with the oil, heat well then place the kebabs in the pan and fry on medium heat for 3 – 4 minutes on each side brushing the kebabs with remaining marinade throughout the cooking process. Take care not to have the heat too high or you will burn the marinade.
- Meanwhile for the dipping sauce mix all the ingredients together.
- Serve with a green salad, basmati rice and little pots of the dipping sauce.
These kebabs can also be cooked on a barbeque and the lamb can be replaced with chicken beef or pork. For a vegetarian alternative you could use sweet potatoes, courgettes and peppers with the shallots.
Recipe courtesy of UK Shallots
Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor
Latest posts by Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor (see all)
- Vegan mini shallot bhajis with minted yogurt - May 21, 2019
- Dementia Action Week - May 20, 2019
- The best vegetarian and vegan cookbooks - May 17, 2019
- Can you taste the difference between cheap and expensive wine? - May 16, 2019
- Protect your skin for Sun Awareness Week - May 15, 2019
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!