Pickled shallots with chilli, cinnamon and allspice
Delicious and aromatic, pickled shallots are a great addition to a picnic, homemade sharing platter, as an accompaniment to salad or as a side dish for your next meal.
The shallots offer a gentler, sweeter flavour than onions, making this the perfect alternative for any picky eaters out there who traditionally find pickled vegetables too tart.
Makes: 2 large jars Prep time: 20 minutes Cooking time: 15 minutes plus 24 hr soaking time
- 1kg shallots, peeled
- 50g salt
- 750ml cider vinegar
- 75g dark brown muscovado sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 6 whole dried chillies
- 10 allspice berries
What to do
- Place the shallots in a bowl, sprinkle over the salt and leave covered for 24 hrs. This process helps the shallots stay crunchy.
- The next day heat the vinegar until simmering, do not boil, add the sugar and spices, stir until dissolved, and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Rinse the shallots and dry with kitchen paper, spoon into sterilised jars, placing the cinnamon sticks, chillies and allspice from the vinegar in at the same time.
- Pour in the hot vinegar so the shallots are covered, leave to cool then put the lids on and leave for a few weeks, they will improve over time but the very earliest for eating is 2-3 weeks after pickling. Store in the fridge after opening.
- Serve with wedges of cheddar cheese and thick sliced ham.
To peel your shallots easily simply place in a bowl and pour over boiling water, leave to cool, drain, trim the root end and then slip off the skins.
Recipe courtesy of www.ukshallot.com
Silversurfer's Assistant Editor
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!