Shallot and Orange Marmalade
Spice up your daily sandwich with this delicious relish – this spread works perfectly with cold meats and cheese and is a great secret weapon to keep in the fridge to liven up a meal with a little extra flavour.
Makes: 1 jar Prep time: 20 minutes Cooking time: 40 minutes
- 500g shallots, peeled, leave whole or slice for a finer relish
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsps caster sugar
- Zest and juice of 2 oranges
- 2 tbsps white wine vinegar
What to do
- Place the shallots in a saucepan with the olive oil, cook over a low heat until softened and beginning to caramelised, this will take around 20 minutes.
- Add the sugar, orange juice and zest and the vinegar, continue cooking until the liquid has reduced a little, around 7-10 minutes, allow to cool.
- Spoon into a sterilised jam jar, cover and store in the fridge. Eat within 1 week.
- Serve cold with cheese or cold meats, or warm and serve as a delicious topping for steak or gammon.
Make peeling shallots simpler by pouring boiling water over them in the sink. Leave them to cool for a moment and then cut the end from the bottom – the skins will slip right off.
Recipe courtesy of www.ukshallot.com
Silversurfer's Assistant Editor
Latest posts by Silversurfer's Assistant Editor (see all)
- Sort your bins for Recycle Week - September 25, 2017
- Does the Sandwich Generation need more support? - September 22, 2017
- Staying active lowers the risk of cognitive decline - September 21, 2017
- Silversurfers Book Club Autumn 2017 - September 20, 2017
- Clever uses for salt - September 20, 2017
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!