Why not try creating a traditional dish that you tasted on holiday? On a recent trip to Morocco we had a delicious Lamb Tagine, and the addition of sweet potato gave this dish a new dimension of flavour. I love making modifications to recipes, so here is a variation, which is gorgeous topped with a dollop of honey infused Greek yoghurt, and can be served with either couscous or rice.
1 tsp ground cinnamon
4 tbsp olive oil
250g Greek style Honey yogurt
1.5kg boneless lamb shoulder or diced leg
1 large onion, chopped
Flaked toasted almonds
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 cinnamon stick
3 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
1tsp ground cumin
150g apricots, ready to eat, chopped
500ml lamb stock
1 tsp ground coriander
PER SERVING: 774kcal, Protein 49.3g, Carbs 27.5g, Fat 51.1g, Sat Fat 13.7g, Fibre 3.8g, Sugar 18.0g, Salt 10.5g
Prep time: 20 minutes; Cooking time: 2 hours
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 5.
2. Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole or a traditional tagine pot, fry the meat in batches until it colours then set aside.
3. With the remaining oil fry the onion and garlic over a low heat until softened. Add the spices.
4. Return the lamb to the casserole. Add the stock and passata and simmer.
5. Place the casserole in the oven to cook for approx 1 hour, check at regular intervals to ensure that the casserole does not dry out and add more stock or passata as required.
6. Add the sweet potato and apricots and return to the oven for another 30 minutes – 1 hour.
7. To serve, spoon over the yogurt, chopped parsley and flaked almonds.
Hints and tips
This recipe is even more delicious made the day before you plan on serving it, as the ingredients mingle and the flavours really develop.
For more delicious recipes click here ←
Latest posts by Silversurfers Editor (see all)
- Where do you think the extra runway should be built – Heathrow or Gatwick? - October 21, 2016
- Beach breaks in Goa - October 21, 2016
- Peace & Tranquility in Your Home Away from Home - October 21, 2016
- Sunset in Abbotsbury, Dorset by Patty Ball - October 20, 2016
- How to Make a Scrapbook with a CEWE PHOTOBOOK - October 20, 2016