2 delizioso spaghetti recipes for World Pasta Day 2018
World Pasta Day is served on Thursday 25th October and is a great excuse to freshen up your spaghetti servings.
Italian cuisine is all about simple, tasty meals, so we’ve picked out a pair of our favourite dishes for a Mediterranean mealtime.
A classic family favourite, spaghetti Bolognese is a great dish for chopping and changing every once in a while. Here’s a recipe for a sauce to make your spaghetti sing with a red wine tang and veggie crunch. Use as a base for different pasta dishes too if you want to mix things up.
For the Bolognese sauce: (makes two servings so you can save some for another recipe)
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 800g minced beef
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 200g mushrooms, diced
- 1 tbsp torn mixed herbs
- 100ml red wine
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 500ml beef stock
- 1 tbsp demerara sugar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
How to make it:
- Heat a large non-stick pan and add the onion and mince, dry fry for 5 minutes, breaking up the mince so it browns evenly. Sprinkle the flour over and cook for 2 minutes, stirring.
- Add the garlic, carrots, mushrooms and mixed herbs and cook for a further minute.
- Stir in the wine, tomatoes, purée, stock and sugar. Season to taste and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 50 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Serve half the quantity with cooked spaghetti, a shaving of Parmesan and a sprinkle of parsley. Keep half the sauce aside for another meal, or to use with different pastas and vegetables through the week.
Prawn, Chilli & Basil Spaghetti
For a satisfying dish with a difference – and an extra helping of ‘La Dolce Vita’ flavours – try this seafood spaghetti. A chilli kick, lemon zing and sweet tang of fresh basil make this prawn recipe a truly Italian-inspired dish.
- 100g spaghetti 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, juice and finely grated zest pinch dried crushed chilli flakes, or to taste
- 25g fresh basil
- 100g peeled king prawns
How to make it:
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and cook the spaghetti according to the instructions on the packet.
- Meanwhile, warm the oil in a pan over a medium heat. Add the lemon zest and chilli and cook for 1-2 minutes until starting to sizzle.
- Remove the leaves from the basil and discard the stalks. Roughly chop or rip the basil and add it to the oil with the prawns. Turn up the heat and cook for 1-2 minutes until piping hot and the prawns are cooked through.
- Add the drained pasta and 3 tbsp of the hot cooking water to the pan. Squeeze over 2 tbsp of lemon juice and toss together. Season to taste and serve immediately.
Look for the ‘C’ when cooking prawns. Straight prawns are undercooked, prawns that have just curled into a C-shape are perfectly cooked, and prawns that have twisted into an O-shape are overcooked.
Latest posts by Morrisons (see all)
- Pimm’s Strawberry Meringue Pie - July 19, 2021
- Rhubarb and Custard Cake - June 27, 2021
- Your Valentine’s Day Menu - January 29, 2020
- Kick start your year with healthy recipe inspiration from Morrisons - January 14, 2020
- Rudolph is in luck this Christmas thanks to Morrisons! - December 10, 2019