Bacon-wrapped chicken with leeks, peas & basil
This is a delicious seasonal recipe for bacon-wrapped chicken with leeks, peas & basil, which is simple to make and looks amazingly colourful too!
Ready in: 45 minutes
Costs: £1.12 per serving
4 chicken leg quarters, skinned and cut into thighs and drumsticks
handful fresh basil
8 thin rashers smoked streaky bacon
1 tsp vegetable or sunflower oil
2 medium leeks, trimmed and sliced thickly at an angle
200ml/7fl oz chicken stock
200g/7oz frozen garden peas
WHAT TO DO:
- Season the chicken with black pepper, put one basil leaf on top of each piece, then wrap tightly with a rasher of bacon. Tuck the bacon into itself to stop it unraveling.
- Heat the oil in a large shallow casserole or frying pan. Add the chicken and fry for 5 minutes on each side until the bacon is golden. Remove to a plate.
- Add the leeks to the pan and soften in the bacon juices for 5 minutes. Return the chicken pieces, basil-side up, pour in the stock, then cover the pan and simmer for 25 minutes or until the chicken is tender.
- Tear half of the basil into the sauce, stir in the peas, then simmer for a few more minutes until the peas are tender and bright. Check the seasoning then scatter the rest of the basil over the dish. Serve with mashed potatoes or crusty bread.
Recipe by: British Leeks
Latest posts by Silversurfers Editor (see all)
- Thinking of selling your diamond jewellery? - April 27, 2017
- Asparagus Tartlets with Goats’ Cheese, Sun Dried Tomatoes and Rocket - April 25, 2017
- Would you like to see Woolworths back on the High Street? - April 24, 2017
- Win One of Three Lean Meat Hampers from Muscle Food! - April 23, 2017
- Discover the pure luxury at Spirit Hotel Thermal Spa*****superior - April 20, 2017
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!