Chilli Lettuce Leaves
Enjoy the warming comfort of Chilli in a lighter, healthier way – this fast and easy recipe feeds for and takes just thirty minutes to put together.
Prep time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 15-20 minutes Serves: 4
- 1 onion, chopped (170g)
- 500g pack of extra lean minced beef
- 1-2 tsp chilli powder
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 400g can kidney beans (240g drained and rinsed)
- 1 round lettuce, leaves washed and separated (80g)
- 275g leftover cooked rice
- 4 tbsp soured cream
What to do:
- Fry the onion and mince in a large saucepan to brown. Stir in the chilli powder and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and kidney beans, cover and cook for 15-20 minutes. Allow to cool slightly.
- Place 16 large lettuce leaves on a large platter or 4 onto 4 plates. Heat the rice and divide between the leaves. Top with the chilli and serve with soured cream.
For a vegetarian option, swap the minced beef for minced Quorn
Silversurfer's Assistant Editor
Latest posts by Silversurfer's Assistant Editor (see all)
- Did you put off retirement due to money worries? - July 18, 2018
- Tips for tracing old pensions - July 18, 2018
- Barbecued corn on the cob with shallot herb butter - July 16, 2018
- Clever uses for self-adhesive Command™ hooks - July 13, 2018
- Summer roulade recipes - July 12, 2018
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!