This is a classic duck and orange flavour combination served in an original way.
Makes : 4 servings
Preparation Time : 30 minutes
Cooking Time : 30 minutes
Oven Temperature : 220ºC/425ºF/Gas Mark 7
4 Duck breasts with skin on
For the Puree
450g/ 1lb leeks, trimmed and sliced into 2.5cm/1” rounds
450g/ 1lb Sweet potato, peeled and cut into large dice
2 x 15ml tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
2.5cm/1” piece Fresh root ginger, peeled and grated
2 Oranges, grated zest and juice
2 Cloves garlic, crushed
6 Whole cloves
sprinkling Ground sea salt and black pepper
1. Pierce duck skin and pan fry skin side down for 5- 8 minutes until the fat starts to run out. Oven cook for 15 minutes skin side up.
2. Prepare the puree. Simmer the sweet potato for 15 minutes until just beginning to soften. Add the leeks and cook for a further 5 – 8 minutes until they are both soft. Drain and mash together to give a rough puree.
3. Heat the olive oil in a solid based saucepan and fry the ginger, orange zest, garlic and cloves together for 1 – 2 minutes without browning. Add the orange juice and the mashed leek and sweet potato mixture and stir to combine.
4. Cut duck breasts into thin slices and fan out onto a bed of the leek puree. Drizzle with the duck cooking juices. Garnish with watercress and serve.
Latest posts by Silversurfers Editor (see all)
- Ace acers by Lynne Turner - October 24, 2016
- Regain control over your electric heating with Dimplex Quantum - October 24, 2016
- Worried about retirement choices? - October 24, 2016
- Why does our hearing deteriorate as we get older? - October 24, 2016
- Something to sing about, by Janice Wilkinson - October 22, 2016