Duck Breast on an Orange Spiced Leek and Sweet Potato Puree
This is a classic duck and orange flavour combination served in an original way.
Makes : 4 servings
Preparation Time : 30 minutes
Cooking Time : 30 minutes
Oven Temperature : 220ºC/425ºF/Gas Mark 7
4 Duck breasts with skin on
For the Puree
450g/ 1lb leeks, trimmed and sliced into 2.5cm/1” rounds
450g/ 1lb Sweet potato, peeled and cut into large dice
2 x 15ml tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
2.5cm/1” piece Fresh root ginger, peeled and grated
2 Oranges, grated zest and juice
2 Cloves garlic, crushed
6 Whole cloves
sprinkling Ground sea salt and black pepper
1. Pierce duck skin and pan fry skin side down for 5- 8 minutes until the fat starts to run out. Oven cook for 15 minutes skin side up.
2. Prepare the puree. Simmer the sweet potato for 15 minutes until just beginning to soften. Add the leeks and cook for a further 5 – 8 minutes until they are both soft. Drain and mash together to give a rough puree.
3. Heat the olive oil in a solid based saucepan and fry the ginger, orange zest, garlic and cloves together for 1 – 2 minutes without browning. Add the orange juice and the mashed leek and sweet potato mixture and stir to combine.
4. Cut duck breasts into thin slices and fan out onto a bed of the leek puree. Drizzle with the duck cooking juices. Garnish with watercress and serve.
Latest posts by Silversurfer's Editor (see all)
- Do you think university tuition fees should be scrapped? - February 20, 2018
- Let’s end polio for good - February 19, 2018
- It’s why we travel… - February 19, 2018
- Heart Valve Voice Reaches New Heights - February 19, 2018
- Will your pension support your retirement plans? - February 15, 2018
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!