Fired-up Mushroom, Chorizo and Potato Hash
This versatile dish is delicious as a warming breakfast, filling brunch or comforting supper dish on a cold day. Fresh chilli adds a bit of spicy heat while the chorizo and mushroom add lots of bold, rich flavour.
Serves: 4 Prep time: 20 minutes Cook time: 25 minutes
- 2kg new (or Charlotte) potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 150g chorizo sausage, chopped
- 6 spring onions or 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 tsp chopped fresh red or green chilli
- 200g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the potatoes in lightly salted boiling water for 15-20 minutes, until tender.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large frying pan, then add the chorizo sausage, onions and chilli. Cook over a medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes. Add the chestnut mushrooms and cook for a further 3-4 minutes, until the mushrooms are browned.
- Drain the potatoes well, then tip them into the frying pan and stir well. Keep warm over a low heat, stirring occasionally.
- At this point, heat the vegetable oil in a separate frying pan and fry the eggs until done to you liking.
- Share the potato hash between 4 warmed serving plates and place a fried egg on top of each portion. Serve, sprinkled with freshly ground black pepper.
Cook’s tip: Make sure you buy chorizo sausage that needs cooking – just check the packaging. If you prefer, poach the eggs instead of frying them.
Recipe courtesy of Just Add Mushrooms
Silversurfer's Assistant Editor
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!