Fired-up Mushroom, Chorizo and Potato Hash
This versatile dish is delicious as a warming breakfast, filling brunch or comforting supper dish on a cold day. Fresh chilli adds a bit of spicy heat while the chorizo and mushroom add lots of bold, rich flavour.
Serves: 4 Prep time: 20 minutes Cook time: 25 minutes
- 2kg new (or Charlotte) potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 150g chorizo sausage, chopped
- 6 spring onions or 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 tsp chopped fresh red or green chilli
- 200g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the potatoes in lightly salted boiling water for 15-20 minutes, until tender.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large frying pan, then add the chorizo sausage, onions and chilli. Cook over a medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes. Add the chestnut mushrooms and cook for a further 3-4 minutes, until the mushrooms are browned.
- Drain the potatoes well, then tip them into the frying pan and stir well. Keep warm over a low heat, stirring occasionally.
- At this point, heat the vegetable oil in a separate frying pan and fry the eggs until done to you liking.
- Share the potato hash between 4 warmed serving plates and place a fried egg on top of each portion. Serve, sprinkled with freshly ground black pepper.
Cook’s tip: Make sure you buy chorizo sausage that needs cooking – just check the packaging. If you prefer, poach the eggs instead of frying them.
Recipe courtesy of Just Add Mushrooms