No-fuss Roast Chicken Platter
This no-fuss roast chicken recipe is simple and straightforward; perfect for a relaxed family lunch when you want great food with minimum hassle.
Chicken is carved and served on top of a mediterranean-style salad, creating a photo-worthy spread that’s made for sharing. This lighter spin on a Sunday roast is ideal if you want to follow up with dessert.
Serves: 4 Prep time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 1 hr 30 minutes
- 50g salted butter at room temperature
- 1 lemon
- 4-5 sprigs thyme
- 1.8kg chicken
- 1 bag watercress
- 1 bunch spring onions
- 16 black olives
- 16 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tbsp Fussels rapeseed oil
- ¼ clove garlic, crushed
What to do
- Heat the oven to 190C/170C Fan/Gas 5.
- Beat together the butter, lemon zest, leaves of the thyme and a good pinch of black pepper. Gently lift the chicken skin from over the breast meat at the end closest to the legs and use your hands to spread the butter over the meat, under the skin.
- Cut the lemon in half, squeeze out the juice and set aside to use later then put the lemon, along with the thyme twigs, inside the chicken cavity. Sprinkle a little salt over the skin and roast in the preheated oven for 1hour 45 minutes, basting twice with the cooking juices during roasting. Once cooked, remove from the oven and set aside to rest.
- Put the watercress in a large bowl, add the sliced spring onions, halved cherry tomatoes and olives. Combine the reserved lemon juice with the rapeseed oil and crushed garlic. Leave 2 tablespoons of dressing in the bowl and use the rest to dress the watercress. Toss well and load onto a serving platter.
- Carve the chicken and arrange the meat on the salad. Drizzle with the remaining dressing and serve.
Recipe courtesy of www.watercress.co.uk
Silversurfers Features Editor
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!