Piri-Piri Chicken Burgers
Add a spicy kick to your dinner with this quick and delicious recipe for Piri-piri chicken burgers.
Together with the smooth and creamy mayo and avocado, you get a beautiful balance of flavour that’s got just the right amount of spice.
Serves: 2 Prep time: 10 minutes plus marinating Cook time: 20 minutes
- 2 chicken breasts, skinless
- 1tbs + 1tsp Piri-piri seasoning mix
- 1 lime
- 2 tbsp oil
- 4 spring onions, 2 finely chopped and 2 cut into strips
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- ½ avocado
- ½ little gem lettuce
- 2 burger buns
- Cover the chicken breasts with a sheet of cling film and bash the thickest part with a rolling pin. Ideally the breast will be a similar thickness all over so it cooks evenly. Mix together 1 tbsp of the Piri-piri seasoning mix, the juice of half the lime, the oil and the finely chopped spring onions to make a marinade. Pour this over the chicken and leave to marinate overnight or for as long as possible.
- The chicken can be cooked on the BBQ, in a griddle pan or grilled. Whichever way you do it, cook on a medium heat for 10-15 minutes, turning regularly. It should be charred on the outside and juicy but cooked in the middle.
- While the chicken is cooking, mix together the remaining Piri-piri seasoning and the mayonnaise. Slice the avocado and dress with lime juice and a good pinch of salt. Tear the Little Gem leaves and toast the buns.
- Lay the Little Gem leaves on the bottom half of each bun, lay the cooked chicken breast on top, add a dollop of Piri-piri mayonnaise and top with the spring onion strips, slices of avocado before topping with the bun lid.
Note: You can buy spicy or mild Piri-piri seasoning blends, choose whichever suits your taste.
Recipe courtesy of www.lovethecrunch.com