Spiced lamb skewers with blackberry quinoa salad
Spiced lamb skewers with blackberry quinoa salad taste great served both hot and cold
Look out for packs of mixed red and white quinoa with bulgur wheat, which cooks in just 10 minutes and makes a great change from rice. Any leftovers can be packed into a plastic box and taken to work for lunch.
Prep: 25 minutes
Cook: 10-14 minutes
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 teaspoon cumin seeds, roughly crushed
1 teaspoon peppercorns, roughly crushed, plus a little extra
1 lemon, juice only
2 teaspoons runny honey
2 tablespoons olive oil
Few salt flakes
700g (1lb 9oz) lean lamb leg steaks, cubed
125g (41/2oz) fine asparagus
750ml (11/4 pint) vegetable stock
200g (7oz) mixed red and white quinoa with bulghar wheat
1 red onion, halved, thinly sliced
200g (7oz) blackberries
100g (4oz) sun blush tomatoes in oil, drained
Small handful flat leafed parsley, roughly chopped
Small handful fresh mint, roughly chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 lemons, halved
What to do:
- Add the garlic, crushed cumin and peppercorns to a shallow dish; add the lemon juice, honey, 1 tablespoon oil and a generous sprinkling of salt and fork together to mix. Add the cubed lamb and toss in the garlic mixture then thread on to 8 small metal skewers. Toss the asparagus with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and a little extra salt and pepper.
- For the quinoa salad, bring the stock to the boil in a saucepan; add the quinoa mix and simmer for 12 minutes or until the grains are just beginning to separate.
- Pour off any excess stock, leaving just enough in the pan to keep the quinoa moist. Tip into a bowl then add the remaining salad ingredients and toss together with a two spoons.
- Preheat a griddle pan or grill and cook the lamb skewers for 10-12 minutes, turning several times until browned. Take out of the pan, add the asparagus and cook for 3-4 minutes until just tender.
- Add the asparagus to the salad then serve with the lamb skewers. Squeeze over lemon juice to taste.
Latest posts by Silversurfers Editor (see all)
- The unwavering popularity of Optiflame® - February 20, 2017
- Is a Jaffa Cake a biscuit or a cake? - February 20, 2017
- The Active Collection from Hotter - February 20, 2017
- Enjoy the benefits of owning a dog without the commitment - February 20, 2017
- Win a case of wine up to the value of £250! - February 19, 2017
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!