This is a mouth-watering alternative to traditional mulled wine, which is usually enjoyed during the Christmas period. Why not enjoy this warming festive drink round a roaring fire with friends.
1 large orange
125g / 4 ½ oz caster sugar
2 cinnamon sticks
¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1 vanilla pod, halved lengthways
2 bottles red wine
50ml / 2floz brandy
200g / 7oz mixed berries
WHAT TO DO:
Pare the zest off the orange in thin strips and squeeze the juice. Place the orange zest and juice in a large saucepan with the sugar, spices and vanilla pod. Add just enough red wine to cover the ingredients. Heat gently, stirring, until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil and boil rapidly until the wine has reduced and become syrupy.
Add the rest of the wine, brandy and the mixed berries. Gently simmer for two minutes, do not boil. Serve in heatproof glasses.
Recipe from www.seasonalberries.co.uk/
Latest posts by Silversurfers Editor (see all)
- by Barbara Wooldridge - October 25, 2016
- Ever Fancied Owning Your Own Racehorse? - October 25, 2016
- Discover the gems of the Middle East - October 25, 2016
- Ace acers by Lynne Turner - October 24, 2016
- Regain control over your electric heating with Dimplex Quantum - October 24, 2016