Moroccan lamb kebabs with a chickpea salad
When the weather is not so conducive to a barbecue, and you feel like an al fresco style dish, this could be the one for you, even if the sun isn’t shinning! Lamb kebabs make a welcome change to chicken, although the lamb could be substituted with chicken if preferred. You can use any cut of lean lamb, and simply cube it before marinating. Look out for special offers in the supermarket for lamb steaks or similar .. always good to bag a bargain!
For the lamb:
800g lean cubed lamb
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp ras el hanout (Moroccan Spice)
2 cloves garlic crushed
1 tbsp fresh ginger,finely chopped
Zest ½ lemon
Small squeeze lemon juice
For the chickpea salad:
2 x 400g tins chickpeas
3 cloves garlic, crushed
½ red chilli, de-seeded and chopped
½ red onion, sliced
2 tbsp fresh mint, chopped
2 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
Juice ½ lemon
1 tsp ras el hanout
2 tbsp natural yoghurt
For the cucumber raita:
1/2 cucumber, peeled and de-seeded
150ml natural yoghurt
1 tbsp coriander, chopped
1 tbsp fresh mint, chopped
To cook/serve use wooden skewers, sold in Robert Dyas or larger supermarkets
1. Marinate the lamb in the oil, garlic, ginger, ras el hanout and lemon zest and juice. Cover and leave to stand for at least an hour if possible. Thread onto skewers and cook on a pre-heated griddle for 1-2 minutes per side, overall cooking time around 6-8 minutes. Leave to rest for 5 minutes.
2. Drain the chickpeas and fry off in a glug of oil for 2-3 minutes then add the garlic, chilli and ras el hanout and cook for a further minute. Place the chickpeas in a large bowl and add the onion, herbs, lemon juice and yoghurt, season with salt and pepper.
3. For the raita, mix the diced cucumber, yoghurt, and herbs in a bowl, season then leave to stand for 10 minutes before serving.
4. Serve with some salad leaves, and if you want to add some more carbs, you could also serve with some warm pitta bread.
Recipe from Dean Edwards from Lorraines kitchen
For more delicious recipes click here ←
Latest posts by Sally - Silversurfer's Editor (see all)
- Win a free pair of shoes from Hotter worth £129 - August 1, 2021
- Win ONE of THREE copies of Life in Colour with David Attenborough on DVD! - August 1, 2021
- Win ONE of TEN Allium Superglobe mix bundles! - July 31, 2021
- How to Sell Your Car for the Best Price - July 28, 2021
- Advice for expats heading home - July 28, 2021